Have you any handy tracking tips or kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You ever get to watch any of the TV series "Man Tracker?" It's a cat & mouse game in the wilderness.
Man Tracker (Terry Grant) rarely ever gets beaten to the finish line. Why? Watch his horse's ears.
Always lots of really good fresh information about the appearance of footprints, even in wet grass.

You won't hear the sound of a grizz, a black or a big cat sneaking up on you.
Even the wolves and the coyotes don't make a sound unless they want to.
They'll always approach from down wind so you'll never "smell" them, either.
They love your capsaicum Bear Spray, points to food so quickly from afar.
Nice to live where there's never ever any wind, huh?

There's a cougar or two prowling the city in the week past, sampling small dogs and the odd house cat.
Somebody will be prepared and will blow that cat clean off their back porch before this summer is over.

Reactions: Bootfox

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There have been reports of several cats gone missing and a dog got mauled by something here too. It's not normal for a dog to get mauled in its own garden in the UK. For those that scoff at the "legend" of the beast of bodmin or exmoor there is realy a lot of real evidence. Nobody seems to be able to find its lair though. I believe there are several cats about and that they have bred. It would be great to get some expert trackers onto this. There are several videos been taken at a distance which gives good evidence. I have actually come face to face with a black panther... it's literally petrifying! Luckily there was a panel of glass between us but I didn't know that at the time! It was a wildlife park so I was safe enough but the look in those eyes... I'm not kidding.. never want to see it again from 3 feet away.. makes me nervous at night sometimes if it has been spotted nearby. Then I forget about it and I'm fine for a while. I do wish they could catch them. There must be more than one for sure. It's believed they were discarded by unscrupulous owners when the dangerous animals act came in, in the 19 70s. They were never seen before that.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Gun shots mean gut piles. A wolf pack may even try to push you off your kill.
Actually, there's good money in plaster castings of wildlife foot prints.
You could get fox, badger, deer, beaver . . . . what else? A rather benign collection, yes?
When you sit down to a meal, look at your plate. A Grizz print is bigger than your plate.

I usually keep some cheap plaster casting materials and water in the 'Burb.
Now that freezing winter seems to be over (theoretically), I guess I can take it out again.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A slight variation on the theme. Smell. I just read an article where researchers had tested the naked ape against dogs, smelling things. The results were, at least to me, quite surprising. We are not bad, on some substances apparently better than dogs. We also have a somewhat limited set of scents in our repertoir in comparison to dogs.

Also mostly we live in a different scent environment, a dog is close to the ground but we are clearly higher, more oriented to windborn scents.

Also dogs seem to have a ready plan to orient to wind.

In ww2 the std way to observe the enemy was to smell the very distinct stink of sovjet tobacco. In Vietnam human sniffers were used in the jungle.

In the woods our local elk (moose to americans et. al.) (Alces alces) can be smelled fairly easily and day old lays are easy.

Reactions: Bootfox
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Copied link below from SOFREP.COM
Military Histroy
A short history of combat tracking.
''During the conduct of one pursuit operation, 39 Black Seminole Scouts tracked Mescalero Apache raiders for 34 days over 1,260 miles.''

I'm guessing that's a no resupply then...

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE