Would like a heads-up on Winter/Cold weather hammock kit...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I have a DD frontline (breathable) hammock which I have only used once so far.

I see there are a few options for adding warmth the the hammock, underblankets etc.

Whats New and works these days? Good VFM etc.

I would use my Carinthia D4 for a bag with an old thermarest inflatable(if needed), all under the stock basha.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I started off using my mat and then progressed onto an under blanket (Snugpack).

The advantage of the under-blanket is comfort and warmth. Downside unless you pay big "down" type money is pack size, plus the mat is also good for the floor so dual use. The under-blanket is a one-trick pony. The mat will tend to slip and slide in hammocks without a dedicated slip to keep them in place. They also wont protect your shoulders from the cold like an under-blanket will. Soon as you compress insulation its not longer anywhere near as functional. The under-blanket solves this issue.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'd suggest that you're pretty well set already, just throw an underblanket into the mix. I've used the DD Underblanket in temps down to -2 and it works well enough. As per the above comment, it can be a little bit bulky, but does compress down reasonably well (tiny bit bigger than a Nalgene bottle). Pair that with a Carinthia D4 and you'll be snug as a bug. Like me, I see that you're in Kent, we're fortunate in that we tend to get off lightly with the winter weather and don't experience particularly extreme temperatures. I usually rely on my 3 season sleeping bag through the winter time and it has worked fine with the DD underblanket.

You might want to think about your tarp though. I expect you need to pitch the basha in a diamond config in order to cover the hammock and some of the suspension? Have a look at getting a DD 3x3 or better still the 3.5x3.5 for more protection and living space. You'll appreciate it when the weather closes in and you're tarp bound. The larger DD tarps are also a lot less bulky than the basha's so there's another bonus to getting one.

Enjoy, this in my humble opinion has to be the best time of the year to get out camping!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Great stuff. Autumn is my fav time of year.

Regards UB's, The price (around £100+) did put me off originally when they first started popping up

but Its just an option should the ground be completely drenched satutrated and boggy where I want to stay next.

Just picked up a DD UB from Tam Out for £42 delivered so I am now looking forward to giving it a try.

I was toying with the idea of using a woobie or poncho liner as a UB but didnt want to get caught if it was a big fail.
I guess the woobie isnt as windproof and certainly not insulated enough compared to the DD.

I do have a DD tarp large size (cant remember the size) somewhere, so ill take that with me if the basha doesnt look protective enough for a test setup.

Last time i tried it was in light rain damp and it was ok but i can see the need for a little more cover.

TFR

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
A cheap alternative to an under-blanket is American Poncho liner, you can tie it in such a way as to act as an under-blanket and also use it for other stuff like keeping you warm generally and they are only around £25-40.

A bigger tarp is a good call as well, as the wind and rain generally pick up you want to make sure you have plenty of coverage and protection and space around you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE