Coloured Surge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Has anyone else ever heat anodized the steel on a leatherman? I just tried it with mine and I think it's pretty cool. It looks like it's just re-entered Earths atmosphe. I've only seen folk do it to the Ti scales on the Charge.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: abilou

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Ano
41e763f268356e7500035ca5b63bdf97.jpg

Reactions: crosslandkelly

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Heat anodizing?
Never heard of it.

Looks like temper colours to me.

Anodising aluminium is an electrical process, tempering is a heat process. Am I missing something here?

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Heat anodizing?
Never heard of it.

Anodising aluminium is an electrical process, tempering is a heat process. Am I missing something here?
Yes there is indeed no such thing as 'heat anodizing' but that is what this process is commonly called by most people online because the colours that can be achieved are the same as with the electro chemical process. So that's why I called it that. You are creating a oxide layer.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yes there is indeed no such thing as 'heat anodizing' but that is what this process is commonly called by most people online because the colours that can be achieved are the same as with the electro chemical process. So that's why I called it that. You are creating a oxide layer.

The term anodising is inaccurate then as it refers to the part being connected to the anode side (as opposed to the cathode) of an electrical circuit within an electrolyte. The colours are from a dye if I remember right.

I kind of see what people mean cos it looks like it but its misleading to call it anodising.
As far as I'm aware anodising those dye colours onto steel doesnt work, which is how come I was wondering about the terminology.

Its tempering, not anodising.

Just sayin like.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
The term anodising is inaccurate then as it refers to the part being connected to the anode side (as opposed to the cathode) of an electrical circuit within an electrolyte. The colours are from a dye if I remember right.

I kind of see what people mean cos it looks like it but its misleading to call it anodising.
As far as I'm aware anodising those dye colours onto steel doesnt work, which is how come I was wondering about the terminology.

Just sayin like.
Yes I understood what you were saying in your first reply and I do anodize Titanium in the method you mention. The term is, I have said, incorrect. However, as you were not familiar with the term at all in relation to heat (regardless of accuracy) it stands to reason that you wouldn't associate the process with anything. The term is widely used online though, so would be instantly understood by many which is why I used it. If you were to type 'heat anodized' into Reddit for example, you would see many hundreds of posts where people have used this term in relation to this heat process on pens, knife scales, fidget spinners and lots of other things. I may also call a pickup truck a car when it isn't but you get the jist. Pedantry aside they both take you from A to B and both of these processes colour a variety of metals.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ahh, fair enough. While we're butchering technical language I'll just go take my van for a swim after I put some orange juice in the fuel tank.

The temper colours look quite nice though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Heat anodizing?
Never heard of it.

Just sayin like.

Ahh, fair enough. While we're butchering technical language I'll just go take my van for a swim after I put some orange juice in the fuel tank.

The temper colours look quite nice though.

Gosh you typed a lot of barely concealed vitriol for using the wrong term. :D

It’s a modded Leatherman, looks good for it. Why did you bother to reply?

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Aye, well it’s daft. Either like it, don’t like it, comment etc, but don’t rip a guy for posting up his work.
Well my point was just that the vast majority of people doing this to stuff, call it heat anodizing. I realise that it isn't but it's less confusing than saying tempering because as a knife maker, tempering has to do with changing many properties not colour. Anyway I'd rather not get dragged into the passive aggressive nonsense and strawman arguments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE