Tick / Lyme app launched

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Been trying to download it over the last few days, as have been up in the highlands, north of Fort William, and have picked a fair few ticks (worst year for them i can remember). Alas, the site isn't actually available yet. Nothing other than 'it's coming'. Would have been useful this week. but no release date i can find.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Not sure of the going live date, if any one finds out, please post it on here.

The tick population up here in the Highlands seems to have been incresing for a few years now, ive also heard it seems to be the same in the US.
Climate change? a natural high in the population? chemicals that were once used for sheep dipping and agriculture are now (thankfully) banned? At the moment no one has the definitive answer.

Last year I took a couple off the dog in December! Rumour has it that cold weather kills them off, not so sure about that, they seem to survived ice ages!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not wanting to be nasty, but it is maybe better to use your brain than an app?
After every nature visit, check thoroughly our body for attached ticks.
Remove attached ticks.
Check the area where tick fed for change in colour.

if any change, see GP.

Treat all outdoors as the home of ticks, see all ticks as infected with Borrelia.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Not wanting to be nasty, but it is maybe better to use your brain than an app?
After every nature visit, check thoroughly our body for attached ticks.
Remove attached ticks.
Check the area where tick fed for change in colour.

if any change, see GP.

Treat all outdoors as the home of ticks, see all ticks as infected with Borrelia.

Quite agree but part of the reason for the app is to help the researchers.
Not everyone who is bitten by a Lyme infected tick will develop the tell tale sign of the bulls eye rash (Erythema migrans).
There are plenty of folks that use the outdoors that are not aware of ticks or Lyme disease, education is key and in this day and age an app is probably a good move to help that. Generally I think there is more awareness which is positive, let's hope better and quicker diagnosis with better treatment are to follow.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The treatment today is good.
I had a well developed bulls eye rash, went to see a local dr. Contracted it in the forests in Czech Rep. Saw a Czech Dr.
In 2005 or so.

She put me on an IV drip with a high dose of Antibiotics ( Penicillin G? Forgot) , then I had to take orally a high dose of Amoxicillin for several weeks.
Have taken blood tests every year since ( VD's and other, plus Lyme on my request) and am clear.

The problem is that patients are not aware. And many patients do not finish the prescribed course of the a.b.

I think that the British GP's are getting more aware?

How would the app help researchers? I do not think there is a mandatory reporting of Lyme?

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Exactly, there is a lack of awareness and that's why education is needed.
I do think there's a better understanding by UK GP's but I know someone who had to tell a GP what the rash he had was, and that was only last year!
The Lyme test in the UK is not that good sadly, tests often come back with a negative result even when the bulls eye rash shows a definite positive. I've heard the German test is more reliable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE