Gas bottle forge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've had a hankering to try some simpler blacksmithing projects like a trivet or squirrel cooker.
So I thought I would make a simple forge to take to the Suffolk bushcraft group permission, where a few of the other guys have an interest too.
So, an hours work with my angle grinder, powerfile and welder, I have a forge that looks usable.
Do any of you guys know what thread the gas fitting on these bottles is? I need to make up some kind of bellows system to attach to the under side of the forge. I also have 30" of rail that I can cut to make an anvil.
The bottle was emptied and cleaned last year,
Thanks for looking.
IMG_20190801_175257.jpg

IMG_20190803_130016.jpg

IMG_20190801_175426.jpg

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I've had a hankering to try some simpler blacksmithing projects like a trivet or squirrel cooker.
So I thought I would make a simple forge to take to the Suffolk bushcraft group permission, where a few of the other guys have an interest too.
So, an hours work with my angle grinder, powerfile and welder, I have a forge that looks usable.
Do any of you guys know what thread the gas fitting on these bottles is? I need to make up some kind of bellows system to attach to the under side of the forge. I also have 30" of rail that I can cut to make an anvil.
The bottle was emptied and cleaned last year,
Thanks for looking.
View attachment 54873

View attachment 54874

View attachment 54875

Sorry to be a 'damp squid' but you do realise that the gas cylinders ALWAYS belong to the gas company, you only rent them.
They have recently stepped up action and taken several people to court who have been identified cutting up 'company property'
(mainly those selling 'stoves' on ebay).

Just a suggestion that it is not a good idea to show such things on the internet.

https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-views/illegal-handling-scrapping-of-calor-gas-cylinders

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well they're not getting mine back.

Heavy_Kit_1.jpg

Rescued from a dump fire, No identifying marks on them but now used as excellent cauldrons.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Looking good :) nice little forge there, it should work well but you may find a smaller spread of holes works better depending on the fuel you use. The little forges that i take to shows these days have fire pots of about 2" across and set about 1 1/2" below the base.

What are you planning to line it with? Even plain clay and wood ash will work if you are using coal or charcoal.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Looking good :) nice little forge there, it should work well but you may find a smaller spread of holes works better depending on the fuel you use. The little forges that i take to shows these days have fire pots of about 2" across and set about 1 1/2" below the base.

What are you planning to line it with? Even plain clay and wood ash will work if you are using coal or charcoal.

...don't suppose you have a picky to hand?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE