Sourcing a LARGE cast iron frying pan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
I'm trying to source a large cast iron frying pan/skillet for cooking directly on an open fire. About the largest I can find online is 12", but I'm after something in the region 17". Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Paella pans are made from pressed steel.
I have a Lodge 17 inch skillet. Cast iron.
Brilliant quality, and very affordable considering it’s made in the US.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Depending where you are, go find the large asian supermarket/dollar stores near you and look in there. I reckon you have a 90% chance of striking gold.

Otherwise .. Lodge :) Though their prices seem to vary depending on the kind of store you find them in. Cheap in hardware stores ... absurdly expensive in cookery shoppes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Might it be possible for you to use a cast iron griddle?
Lodge, Kitchen Aid and many others sell rectangular units, maybe weigh 6kg or more.

Big cast iron is heavy as you already know.
My next purchase for outdoor family cooking will be a paella pan.

Reactions: Billy-o

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My big one has two handles. Needed. As they are close to the 'bowl' they get hot. so heat insulating gloves are needed.
O have several cast iron large casseroles. Plus one very large S/s.
Cast Iron is better. Maybe only in my mind?

Had a pressed carbon steel frying pan. Same tech as a paella pan. Temperature fluctuates a lot. Very little heat retention.
Similar to S/s when using.

Quality Cast Iron will last tour Great grand children's great grand children.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Go online and look for a "Gypsy Frying Pan".
I have two of them, I didn't know that was what they were called, I knew them as the hoop handled frying pans used on a crane when folks cooked on open fires or on ranges.
A lady at the Moot one year made comment on mine and called them Gyspy Pans and said that though old ones like mine are sought after, there are quite a lot of new made ones about.

A quick squint on eBay has a 16" one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Solid-Cast-Iron-Swing-Skillet-Romany-Gypsy-Frying-Pan-Chitty-Pots-Shamrock/153587847168?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=57477&meid=4dbdb1e675b04f42ab470e98f5570a1d&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=283570212266&itm=153587847168&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

To be honest you don't really want to go any bigger than that, it just becomes too unwieldy to get to stuff in the middle easily and though the iron spreads the heat, at that size you still get a cool side and a hot one (not always a bad thing) or you're constantly stretching over the fire and getting roasted yourself.
!4" or so is a lot easier to work with I find and my small10' one is a pleasure to use.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
In the top right hand corner of the page Toddy linked to, I couldn't help noticing a second hand 12" orange Le Creuset frying pan for £50

Worth picking up even if you never take it camping, but could be ideal for the fire

The gypsy looks horrible and awkward to pack, though deadly useful, I'd imagine.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Interesting they managed to get a such smooth surface. They say it is machined, but then it should be without the irregularities?
Looks enameled?

Good price though. I am sure it is a joy to use.
Our Biggie we use to make Schnitzels in ( and more) . Space for 5 large chicken schnitzels!

That was the reason we bought it, to be able to pan fry food for multiple people.

I recommend Lodge over Creuset, the Swedish brands or any other brand though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The quality is not comparable with Lodge or the others. I compared, and bought Lodge.
Should be fine outdoor though.
It does not matter then that the bottom is not 100% flat, or the casting is slightly irregular
(I had a good look on them.)

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
If size matters, then lodge may not be an option.

Muurikka make some large fry pans with legs - not cast iron though.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Ton of different makers in the States .. I picked up a new, enamelled fait-tout/dutch oven for $40 four or five years ago. They are still around

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In France you get new and used frying pans of every size everywhere.

I surely came along 300 different ironpans in the last 3 weeks in France. In every size you can imagine.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE