Folding knife suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
What was the order process like?
I've never voted and I am not going to send a copy of my passport to an internet shop. All my previous knives have been through Amazon. Is there an alternative way?
Email picture of drivers license or passport is required on the assurance it will be disposed if immediately after checking.

Reactions: Rabbit leg

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Email picture of drivers license or passport is required on the assurance it will be disposed if immediately after checking.
Thanks for that. The Hiennie Haynes site says they keep it. Name, address, debit card details and photo ID.

"We will then release your order and you will not need to provide this information again as it will be held on file"

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
when I used the svord peasant I had issues with it someties being slack usually if it had dried out in my pocket after being wet. It really bugged me, that cheapo flimsy handle, and I couldnt be pestered to keep adjusting the brass screws. So I just kept a length of inner tube in my pocket and wrap it around the handle to prevent it closing in on my fingers when the knife was open for use. Then removed it afterwards. I don't know if that knife is still legal here, but I made it into a very useful and powerful trimming and carving knife by setting the blade into a longer stronger handle. I've never understood why svord paired such a superb blade with such a crappy handle...:rolleyes:

Very basic but very effective and serviceable. I cut out a rebate for the blade in a half lap on a longer handle,epoxed it in with a fitted cap, then whipped it with linen twine.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...rving-tools-elbow-adze-straight-knife.149099/

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Wouldn't mind seeing how you did that conversion to a fixie, Mr Dazzler :)

Mind, I was just looking long and hard at their Thweitel carver ... though there is little chance of me not buying it pretty soon. Put a cedar handle on it maybe :)

Very basic but very effective and serviceable. I cut out a rebate for the blade in a half lap on a longer handle, epoxed it in with a fitted cap, then whipped it with linen twine.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...rving-tools-elbow-adze-straight-knife.149099/

Reactions: Billy-o

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Thanks for that. The Hiennie Haynes site says they keep it. Name, address, debit card details and photo ID.

"We will then release your order and you will not need to provide this information again as it will be held on file"

That's a convenience thing so you don't have to do it again

You can always ask them to remove your details they know they are required by law to do so

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I don't know much about Michael May's work, though I have seen his name a couple fo times over the past few years.

https://michaelmayknives.com/shop.html

The knives are good-looking old classics made to order (perhaps?) and seemingly in C75 steel, which'll be eminently sharpenable with the right medium-ish hardness. Otter use it, and a number of other European regional makers (Issard, and I suspect Eye did and Opinel maybe too). It handles very well. Intended for maintenance by kitchen steel, it will come back to life after stropping on your jeans, literally. I have long, long wanted a properly tapering lambsfoot, and missed out on the one GEC recently made. Maybe this, then :)

Anyone know more?
Damn you! why did you have to post that link? I've just had to order a Barlow ! :)

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
:) I know. I am a pest to myself :lol:

There's this too

s241454415893560455_p442_i1_w640.jpeg

Reactions: Nice65

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
While the knife guys are out in force....does anyone know what knife the ganzo g710 is a copy of?
Looks like a fat benchmade 940

Apologies deekin I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I think you are probably making a good choice on the TBS Boar. I haven't handled one, but it looks like it ticks boxes for a woods knife, although I don't know what the spring will be like, for your finger safety requirement.

The following are not meant to change your mind, more for background info on alternatives.

I have:

Boker Tech1 - excellent EDC, take it to the office, around town, etc. Slim enough not to look "big" and threatening, also comfortable, easy to sharpen (12C27), good clip and good spring, not super stiff, but firm. Nice to carry in that the back corner of the blade spine is rounded and flows into the handle, no big sharp corner to wear your pocket away. Would I want it as a woods knife, not quite, mainly that it is a little slim and short in the handle. It is good though, and at sub-£30...excellent value.

Boker Slack - I reground this to be UK EDC legal. Great steel (VG10), very firm spring for closing, but with a notch system so it isn't a nail breaker to open. The major failing is that the handle is REALLY slim! So slim that you would quickly get fatigue if you tried to carve with it. The handle is also not very deep/tall, again, making it hard to grip. No clip, no nail nick, exposed blade corner.

Spyderco UKPK S110V - FRN handle, very light, very sharp, ground at a better wood cutting angle than the Bokers, one handed opening, discreet pocket clip, would be a good camping/hiking knife. Used to have the S30V/G10 version and like it, but found the razor edge didn't stay on that steel well. Using the finger choil pretty much eliminates the chance of it closing on your finger. Would I want this as a woods knife, again, not quite, mainly that the handle is too thin, although it has good depth and is pretty comfortable, up to carving pressure. Looks bigger, looks more "stabby" than the Bokers.

Spyderco PITS Blue - Titanium and N690Co. If you wanted a UK legal EDC for hunting, this would be fantastic. That was what it was designed for, and the shape of blade and handle really suit the slicing grips used for skinning. A lot less comfy for a full carving grip, and the blade shape is a bit deep. It is a big knife, despite the 3" blade length. VERY safe to use in a full grip, similar to a friction folder, hand pressure increases force needed to cause blade closure. Not lock-back strength, but firmer than most slip joints that are not nail breakers. Also, very easy to clean out with an open back and all metal frame. Is expensive.

Viper Dan2 - N690Co blade, best hand filling handle of any mentioned. Although it is a "friction folder" the detent system gives almost as much resistance as some slip joints. If you have your thumb on the tang, you will have to try really hard to get it to close on you, but the tang is short, so a full fist hammer grip doesn't do anything much to help keep the blade open. I only got this a few days ago, so have not had much chance to try it. Its another big knife, with a fair bit of heft.

Enzo PK70 - S30V, mine is a kit which I have yet to complete. I think they may have discontinued making the non-locking versions, which is a shame since they were/are very high quality, good spring/notch system, easy to open, and the handles were big enough to be comfortable for carving. Only downside was that they had a lot of corners, hard on pockets, and I am not such a fan of S30V.

Schrade Oldtimer Stockman - 1095 steel, takes an okay edge, doesn't hold for long. Nice enough "classic" pocket knife, but I want something better both for EDC and for woods.

Stuff I have handled:
Ben Orford The Nomad - O-1 and G10 friction folder. Thus far, this is the best UK legal EDC woods-knife I have handled. Very comfortable, good safe use in a full grip with a long enough blade tang. Very good design. For me, if it was in stainless steel, it would be perfect.

Hinderer XM Slippy - cool looking, good steel, not a strong spring, really uncomfortable handle. A great disappointment.

Queen Cutlery D2 Sodbuster - Queen are no more, but this was a good knife. Not super safe, and required a full edge regrind to get it cutting, but good steel and a useful shape.

Manly Wasp - S90V blade, and G10. Very thin edge, great slicer, not something I would want for heavy outdoor use. The one my friend had suffered a back spring failure, broke clean through. Main purpose is getting the premium steel into an inexpensive package.

Things that look interesting:
Lion Steel Best Man - M390 steel, titanium and micarta.

TBS Boar folder

All things considered, it seems that knives that are designed for EDC may be good for that, but generally fall down somewhat when transferred to woods-knives. Knives that are designed for use in the woods may be a bit bulkier than what most want for EDC. There is a big difference in using a knife to open the mail, cut string and slice lunch apples, and using it to carve spoons, feather sticks and make hearth board divots. The knives that I thought had the greatest potential for woods work were designed with that use in mind.

Be sure to let us know how you get on with whatever you wind up buying :D

Chris

The knife arrived this morning, and I'm suitably impressed. The spring is most suitable for my requirements, possibly not as strong as my mates Knivegg folder, but it works perfectly well with a fire steel which my old knife didn't. No sideplay on the blade, and the fit and finish is very good. It will most definitely replace my current fixed blade, as I can carry out everything thing else I need to do with my "cleaver". The only thing I'll do is fit a hi-viz lanyard, as I think it may be easily "lost" otherwise.

Oh, and it's super sharp out of the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenThis

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well I ordered the TBS folder today, so I'm looking forward to its arrival.

On the back of this discussion and the recommendation, I ordered one yesterday. It arrived today and, after a bit of a strop and a little Renaissance wax on the handles, it's ready to go. It's a fine looking knife that feels right in the hand. The action, though not the smoothest, does click open reassuringly firmly. I think I might just go out and create a few feather sticks as a starter...

Thank you for prompting the discussion and thank you, too, to all who recommended the TBS Boar folder - I reckon they have just earned themselves another happy customer!

Reactions: GuestD

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Damn you! why did you have to post that link? I've just had to order a Barlow ! :)

Pics when it shows up, Snufkin. It is so tempting to do the same right this minute ... sadly, August's outgoings have sunk all budgets :)

And, here is the principle reason for my parlous financial state :) The Alan Wood, not the Kallioniemi. Lovely.

IMG-1211.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Snufkin

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
On the back of this discussion and the recommendation, I ordered one yesterday. It arrived today and, after a bit of a strop and a little Renaissance wax on the handles, it's ready to go. It's a fine looking knife that feels right in the hand. The action, though not the smoothest, does click open reassuringly firmly. I think I might just go out and create a few feather sticks as a starter...

Thank you for prompting the discussion and thank you, too, to all who recommended the TBS Boar folder - I reckon they have just earned themselves another happy customer!

I've dealt with HH for years because their service (in my opinion) is second to none. The people I got this from were equally as good, with a slight hiccup regarding age verification, which was sorted out professionally and promptly. It's interesting you "stropped" yours, I literally shaved with mine, out of the box. Some of the reviews I've read on HH have stated how sharp the knives are have been the opposite for me. Quality control perhaps ?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've dealt with HH for years because their service (in my opinion) is second to none. The people I got this from were equally as good, with a slight hiccup regarding age verification, which was sorted out professionally and promptly. It's interesting you "stropped" yours, I literally shaved with mine, out of the box. Some of the reviews I've read on HH have stated how sharp the knives are have been the opposite for me. Quality control perhaps ?

I've bought from both bushcraft store and HH. I think both are excellent. I had a couple of problems with TBS knives that were sorted really quickly, I've never had a problem with Heinnie Haynes. I do think the Bushcraft Store do check their knives and finish them before they leave. With Heinnie Haynes I think you get the knives as sent from the factory.. Happy customer of both and they both do what they do very very well.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I'm grateful for the advice given, one other thing worth mentioning is that I did look at a good few other knives in the same price range, and the TBS blade is around 1mm thicker than most of what I looked at.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

I got mine from the Bushcraft Store and had no issues with age verification - perhaps I type like an elderly person! My standard 'out-of-the-box' test for any knife made by any maker or manufacturer is a paper one; my folder juddered a little on that so I stropped it carefully. Thereafter, it cut beautifully, with both the shreds of paper and the bald patches on my legs as testament! I put the Renaissance wax on the micarta just as a further means of protecting it. I suppose they are just two habits I've got into but I find that that way, everything is brought up to a standard of sorts. I hope you enjoy using yours!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Coo

The thing with all folders with more than one blade is will the other(s) be in the way. That looks pretty symmetrical one way and the other

Wish it was O1

I wonder, have they (do they) do the single blade version in just the convex option?

I received the TBS wildcat this morning, a present to myself.
The fit and finish is first class and the springs are as strong as any folder I've ever handled.
Aesthetically it's lovely in the hand and it looks superb with the red liners nicely complimenting the dark Turkish Walnut.

However it is significantly and noticeably heavier in the hand compared to my Boar EDC.
Also as soon as I opened it up it was obviously going to be uncomfortable in the hand for me.
As had been pointed even though the scales are wider than the boar the secondary blade is always in the way.

It's a horrible shame. It will have to get sent back as I would never carry it, I'd always prefer the much more comfortable the Boar EDC or Viper DAN 2!
Obviously your mileage may vary and I'd definitely recommend handling one yourself if you really like it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The fit and finish is first class and the springs are as strong as any folder I've ever handled.
Aesthetically it's lovely in the hand and it looks superb with the red liners nicely complimenting the dark Turkish Walnut.

However it is significantly and noticeably heavier in the hand compared to my Boar EDC.
Also as soon as I opened it up it was obviously going to be uncomfortable in the hand for me.
As had been pointed even though the scales are wider than the boar the secondary blade is always in the way.

It's a horrible shame. It will have to get sent back as I would never carry it, I'd always prefer the much more comfortable the Boar EDC or Viper DAN 2!
Obviously your mileage may vary and I'd definitely recommend handling one yourself if you really like it.

That's a shame. Out of interest, how is the grip if both blades are out? (I know you wouldn't use it like it, before anyone jumps on me! :D )

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
)

That is a shame. I looked at the pics and did think that the other blade might make it uncomfortable. ( And I hate red liners).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE