Tilley Lamp Servicing at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Got the service kit and replacement mantles for my Tilley lamp from Hopflipandfly. I'm well impressed with their service, the items arrived 48hrs after ordering

As you can see I'll have a couple mantles going spare so if you need one I'll happily share for the grand sum of £2 each :)

20190721-143046.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thinking about this workshop I'm feeling it's going to be a mutual self help group as no one has put their hand up and said definitely they know what they're doing and are happy to show folks.

Woodygirl, I reckon if you can print out the instructions between us all we ought to be able to get your Colman lantern sorted out.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'll see if I can get the time to hit the library and do that. ( don't have a computer myself only Internet is on my phone... Can't print from that!) if I can I'll try and fit it in somewhere and I'd be thankful for the help with it.. thanks for that. It would be great to get it lit and used. I've watched a few vids and they scare me to death flaring up so much!!!!! Must have been watching the how not to vids rather than the how to vids :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well I'm 85% packed and there is no way I can bring the lamp. It's just too big and awkward to bring without a car. Looks like it won't be comming with me. So we can stand down on the powerhouse. (Sighs of relief) shame but I'll still watch the tilly lamp refurbing. I'm still looking for a place for my axe chair pillow blanket and bow. Let alone the things for sale. It's gonna be one heck of a journey on the train trying to keep an eye on all my stuff! If you see someone crawling onto site covered in kit... it will be me! And I've chucked a lot out too!

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
I have printed some parts diagrams of which people may find useful. Also if wanting to service your lamp it would be a good idea if your fuel tank was empty so you do not need to drain for servicing ;)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Just tore my new mantle :( boooo if you've got any spare I'll be happy :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have printed some parts diagrams of which people may find useful. Also if wanting to service your lamp it would be a good idea if your fuel tank was empty so you do not need to drain for servicing ;)

Thanks Charley, that'll be very useful and good point about the tank. :)

Another tip is to soak your pressure pump washer in some light oil for about an hour or so before fitting. I've seen suggestions for the oil range from veg oil to motor oil diluted with paraffin but all agreed it's best to pre soak before fitting. The soaking can be done by putting in a small zip lock bag with a teaspoon or two of the oil of your choice.

Reactions: chas brookes

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Mine has been pulsing which usually means it has built up lacquer due to long term storage of fuel. Apparently the fix is soak it in pure ethanol and if I'm lucky that'll fix it.

I went and bought some cheap mantels from a camping shop, cut the top cord and used some metal wire to pin it to the lantern. It's for a gas stove seems to be working fine but is definitely less bright but functional.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE