Volunteering for local beavers / cubs / scouts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Got my DBS certificate through the post. Very quickly, about 3 days! Must have led a good, clean and wholesome life! More likely lived in the same house for 19+ years so less checking to do!

Now I need an interview and two independent character references. Seems a lot to me. A colleague is cleared to coach kids at his local football club. He only had the DBS certificate part to do. Why is the system more complex for scouts?

Because the scouts are more experienced at keeping out the dodgy ones whereas the football ones are only just starting to come to light.

Reactions: Winnet

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That was thought but felt that was a wrong thought to have. IIRC scouting has had it's own cases of dodgy leaders in the distant past now (possibly becoming public when I was a cub). Such that my recollection was that at one time being a scout leader was associated with being viewed with suspicion.

An organization having gone through it's period of discovery of such issues of safeguarding failures some time ago is highly likely to operate stricter systems. If for no other reason than regaining their lost level of trust.

The above might be unfair but contain a bit of truth.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I used to coach youngsters rugby at my local club as well as being a scout leader.
There is a big difference.
When I am coaching I am on a field in full view of everyone so any misdemeanors would be spotted.
As a scout leader I am taking children away on camp etc and therefore not publicly watched over every moment. I also don't have the luxury of being able to walk to the side line and hand a child back to the parent should I need to. So we have to be aware that we may need to comfort a distraught child until their parents arrive possibly hours later or take a child to hospital.
Both organisations have safe guarding policy's to avoid potential situations.The scouts are far ahead of others in their rules and procedures because they need to be.
What I learnt doing my training was the rules are there to protect both sides. The main priority is to protect the children but also by following the guidelines I can protect myself by not putting myself into a situation which may be misconstrued.
We never have an adult and child alone together. We always have two adults present and constantly aware of how we interact with children.
(Children includes anyone under 18 including young leaders)
A prime example is when we go on camp and some parents expect us to do everything for their little "precious". I tell them straight that's not going to happen as what a parent is allowed to do and what a leader can do are different. They sometimes think I am being a bit awkward. They also get a bit shocked when I point out my main priority is to protect myself. (They don't realise that by doing this and following procedure I am actually protecting the children).
The rules are there for everyones benefit
Chalkflint

Reactions: Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE