Vango Hydra 200 tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was out at the car boot today, looking for steampunk kit for your Moot delectation.

(But you will have to wait until then to see my treasures...)

I picked up a Vango tent, a Hydra 200...knew nothing about it, but they were asking £2...

Looking online it seems to be like the Banshee but has a PORCH

(My big issue with the Banshee....Otherwise a good tent.)

Anyone experience with them?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have an original Vango Hydra 2-person tent, made in 1995, when I bought it for using at motorcycle rallies. I still use it a few times a year. It is still waterproof, the alloy poles are still good, and I’ve only replaced the rubber peg straps. The only particular care I have taken with it is to use an additional simple small groundsheet underneath the built-in one to help avoid any punctures. I have also been very careful to ensure that it has always been well aired and dried out after use, but I would do that for any tent.

So I’d say it has been a great tent, and exceptional value for money.

Cheers, Bob

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Great buy for two quid. Lucky girl! I've had several vango tents in my time. Never any issues with them. My vango alpha 300 is now over ten yrs old. Still doing fine. Sadly it's barbie pink (what!!! I hear you shout) great idea for festivals but not great for stealth camping!
It still gets an outing once or twice a year, but if I'm going to camp for more than one or two nights I need a bigger tent..(. like a four man or bell tent.). My robens fairbanks is a nice size for me on my own.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
My first tent was a Hydra 200 - bought in the early 2000s. Fantastic tent, and it's still to the good. At 3.5kg it's a bit on the heavy side, but boy is it strong - I sat out a couple of gales in this and it was stalwart. With the weight I seldom use it these days, but I wouldn't part with it!

My only gripe about it is that on the long sides the separation between inner and outer isn't great, and you can get contact and seepage. But there are things you can do about that.

Oh, and it's inner fist, so that's another issue, but if you use the outer as a cover while you sort out the inner, you can get it up dry even in the rain.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, its the in thing these days,isnt it?

And I have found some great kit.

Put up the tent today and it was screwed up in the bag (No wonder it was such an odd shape...) Bad sign.

Its been put away wet and is mouldy.

No harm to a nylon tent but it needs a very good clean.

And its Burgundy...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Victorian SF with some alchemy thrown in. Think films like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Think brass dials, valves, steam, airships, top hats, waist coats, pocket watches, aviator or welder type goggles, then give the whole thing a science fiction and alchemical twist.

Google will help no end. Look up Wayland on here, he has a steampunk cooperative that gather regularly. I can’t honestly believe this is alien to you??? I think you’ll find you know it, but didn’t know the name of it.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, Nice65, more complex

Thats the superficial stuff.

Underneath its all self sufficiency, making your own tech, and having tech that will last you a lifetime. Its about making your very own future instead of having one made by a huge multinational company. Its about being able to believe in yourself and your future.

You did know it. its what we do.

Yes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE