Kintsugi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
hi has anyone had any experience of trying to do a bit of kintsugi on broken pottery. I realize it’ll have to be a more modern version of the traditional Japanese way of doing it.
So far I was thinking of clear 2 part epoxy resin mixed with gold mica powder.
If anyone has some successful experience let me know, once I’ve got some resources in I’ll post some pics up

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Bit of explanation maybe needed. Kintsugi is the art of mending broken pottery with gold so that the breaks and joins can be seen and highlighted. This is based on a philosophy of not discarding beautiful things but more importantly by celebrating the history and flaws and imperfections in objects. Making the repaired object more beautiful, valuable and precious than the flawless original. I really like the message and fancy trying to make some

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have to say I like the idea of this. My dad enjoyed much time in his man-shedrepairing Measham twin spout tea pots and suchlike, perfecting hiding the join. I appreciated what he was doing, and equally Kintsugi.

I’ve used this company on eBay for resin and recommend them, careful instructions and help numbers are included. Definitely a good seller, and they’ll offer decent advice. In my case the advice was don’t suck the resin up 2mm brass tube to make some brass and blue pins for a walking stick, use a syringe and bit of tube. It was good advice, and I only wish I’d listened. Epoxy tastes foul. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Ep...a-Clear-150g-375g-750-1-5kg-3Kg-/232571890582

Can’t help you with your ask, but keep us posted. With pics :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
SWMBO has repaired quite a bit of kitchen crockery (replacing chipped edges of plates, dishes and water jugs) using Milliput; it stands up well to repeated passes through the dishwasher.

I don't know how well it work as a glue for binding pieces together, though.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
SWMBO has repaired quite a bit of kitchen crockery (replacing chipped edges of plates, dishes and water jugs) using Milliput; it stands up well to repeated passes through the dishwasher.

I don't know how well it work as a glue for binding pieces together, though.
It has been years since I've used Milliput but I used it a lot making and adapting miniatures. Always bonded well to smooth metal surfaces. I doubt you could colour it, but it takes paint very well afterwards. Lovely to work with I seem to remember, just wash your hands quickly once done, it really does end up rock hard! The fine stuff I tended to use the most.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
So this was my first attempt with 2 cheap broken sake cups
h9B6wg3

I used some 2 part clear epoxy mixed with some gold mica powder, both from the internet for a few quid.
tc9vKg9

mixed a bit of the 2 part with some mica powder, first learning don't need to use much of the powder to get a good coloured epoxy.
t8qz4xy

then slathered it on with a lolly stick, I did it quite thickly as I wanted it to come from the seams/joins and be obvious.
The first cup (the one with more breaks) will need some more work and cleaning up, some sources on the internet suggested that i sprinkle some mica powder over the still tacky resin, this just seems to make a mess and doesn't add much in my opinion to the finish. but means there's a lot more cleaning up to do.
But here are the cups after mending, the more broken one will be touched up and some more of the mica/expoxy mix used to fill a couple of the deeper cracks, but I'm really happy with the other one.

HHtRzrH

z6NghFz

WHG6j6x

And here's a bit I wrote (not quite a poem)

Golden Re-Joining and the eternal dance

Within these sake cups we can see the ways we’ve tried to make something beautiful, yet often failed, and left what we tried to create scarred and broken.

But in the history of breaks, cracks and fractures I can see the struggle not just to keep something beautiful but to create something more beautiful, and maybe the commitment to that struggle is the most beautiful thing.

Maybe we can see our love in this eternal dance itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE