Out with the dog and kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MinTheLab

Feb 24, 2019
A farm in Nottinghamshire
Well, I'm new to the forum, done lots of reading, picked up great ideas.

If you haven't read my intro, I'm no bushcrafter yet! I live on the family farm with my family and dogs, the kids being farm kids like the outdoors and I decided to have a go at getting them involved, the whole idea came from my lad starting beavers and loves the idea of camping. So, I found a spot in our woods thats easy to get to and private and i've started to have a go.

Its going slowly, and simple at the minute but have found lots of inspiration to build a more permanent camp.

Few pics.

rem_min by
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146217617@N05/
deflect by
def by
mar by
sas by

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bet the kids (and big kid, and dog) love that :D
You can learn an awful lot just by being out there in all seasons and doing stuff.

Have you got clay on your land ? if you have then even simple pottery is possible. I think I must have been about six the first time I made a 'dish' from the clay and my Dad showed me how to dry it out near the fire and then bake it really dry and hard in the fire :)
Later I made bricks too, and used them to build the firepit my wee brother used when he was melting lead. Made the wee crucibles too with the clay.

Fun times :)

Reactions: MinTheLab

MinTheLab

Feb 24, 2019
Bet the kids (and big kid, and dog) love that :D
You can learn an awful lot just by being out there in all seasons and doing stuff.

Have you got clay on your land ? if you have then even simple pottery is possible. I think I must have been about six the first time I made a 'dish' from the clay and my Dad showed me how to dry it out near the fire and then bake it really dry and hard in the fire :)
Later I made bricks too, and used them to build the firepit my wee brother used when he was melting lead. Made the wee crucibles too with the clay.

Fun times :)

Thank you.

We don’t have clay, although that’s a brilliant idea, I can buy some. These are the things I haven’t thought of, and will make the camp personal!

Once it’s water tight and I’ve got the wind breaks up, I need to buy timber, if anyone knows what a country stewardship is like, I can’t cut anything down, we’ll spend some nights out.

We are over ridden with rabbit so me and my daughter will do a night, harvest a rabbit or two with the rifle and cook.

Once it’s built properly it’s a great ‘game station’, we have deer problems so I might get a vid up of deer shot, preparation and cooking, if it doesn’t cross any rules on the forum about blood and stuff?

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No worries, it'd be interesting to folks, just put anything gory, or firearms, into Fair Game.
The forum is kept very 'safe' so that folks can open it at work, in school, at Uni, etc., so keeping images that might offend others in Fair Game, gives everyone a heads up.
Seems a tad draconian, but it works.

Could you plant willow ? Willows grow like weeds if they've got enough water, and they're an excellent resource. Everything from basketry to hurdles and charcoal. Good stuff :)
and safe too for kids to handle.

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
If you want to follow up Toddy's clay suggestion, send me a private message with your address or email using the conversation option, and I'll send you my article on Primitive Pottery. It was originally written for teachers with no experience of working with clay so they could give children hands on experience.

Toddy may be too modest to point out that she started a great thread on bushcraft things to do with children. It's definitely worth a look.

Reactions: MinTheLab and Toddy

MinTheLab

Feb 24, 2019
No worries, it'd be interesting to folks, just put anything gory, or firearms, into Fair Game.
The forum is kept very 'safe' so that folks can open it at work, in school, at Uni, etc., so keeping images that might offend others in Fair Game, gives everyone a heads up.
Seems a tad draconian, but it works.

Could you plant willow ? Willows grow like weeds if they've got enough water, and they're an excellent resource. Everything from basketry to hurdles and charcoal. Good stuff :)
and safe too for kids to handle.

M

Thats a great idea, the area I'm working in has a brook 10 ft or so away, so water for the plants won't be a problem.

Thanks for the advice on where to post.

MinTheLab

Feb 24, 2019
If you want to follow up Toddy's clay suggestion, send me a private message with your address or email using the conversation option, and I'll send you my article on Primitive Pottery. It was originally written for teachers with no experience of working with clay so they could give children hands on experience.

Toddy may be too modest to point out that she started a great thread on bushcraft things to do with children. It's definitely worth a look.

Thats very kind of you, I'll message you, thank you.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Looks good mate, the dog will really enjoy going out with you and the kids if there’s sausages, rabbit and deer on offer for a meal !
Looks a good start to your camp. Enjoy and keep us updated please.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE