A Nice Chest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, a nice wooden toolmakers chest - but it got you to look at the thread :)
I picked this up yesterday in Frome Sunday Street Market - it's really in nice condition with the original brass lock and key that makes a very satisfying 'clunk' as it locks :). I'm assuming the C.E.Jamieson plaque is the manufacturer's but could it be the craftsman's?

I haven't decided yet if it's going to contain antique tools, art materials, leatherwork tools and materials or just 'objects of interest' :) but don't tell the missus or she may question my reasoning for buying it!

tool chest 1.jpg

tool chest 2.jpg

tool chest 3.jpg

tool chest 4.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's very nice indeed; I'd have thought that it'd be an apprentice piece and that the plaque referred to the maker/user in a more formal time than the present. Nice find :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Judging by the marking out lines still scribed into the dovetail joint areas and that all of the brass fittings are surface fixed it is the work of Mr Jamieson to hold his tools during his apprenticeship.
High end cabinets would have had inset brass fittings and the gauge lines planed off.
The Carpenters toolbox I made at college still has those gauge lines on as a reminder of how to set out dovetails that are cut by hand.
A very nice find nonetheless and it tells a story.
Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE