Circa 1955 Scouts Soft Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been having a bit of fun making a "Retro" pack...
Following the instructions in the book "|Mid Moor and Mountain" by Melville Balsillie and Jim Westwood - first published in 1955 (two years before I was born) by "The Boy Scouts Association" (I have a copy of the 1961 reprint hard back) in Section C "How Shall we Do It?" sub section 2 Kit and Gear, I have made an authentic "Retro" pack...
I followed the materials list as closely as I could... from stuff I had kicking around... and the only real substitution is I cut one piece leather shoulder straps as I had no 2" khaki webbing in store...
P4070007.JPG
Now I am not knocking Mr Westwood (who wrote Section "C") but his cutting list and measurements do not exactly match up (if you cut a piece of fabric 12 1/2" wide and fold in 2 1/2" corners you do not get a 91/2" length between the corners...) and there is no mention of seam allowances anywhere ... and just compare the sketch of the bag with the photos - very vague schematic drawings to say the least... but I managed to work around all the minor issues and have a pretty useful and roomy pack - with loads of Real Retro Style! :)
I used some 8oz cotton fabric (as specified) a mix of buckles - brass and steel - but of matching styles, 2.5mm Veg tan leather, dyed with Eco-Flo mid brown, copper rivets, artificial sinew thread and brass coloured eyelets.
The fabric was sewn with polyester thread and proofed with Fabsil (I had no Mesowax as specified...) I cut a leather lace and cordlock for the drawcord closure.
I am quite happy with the results :)
P4070001.JPG P4070002.JPG P4070003.JPG P4070004.JPG
P4070006.JPG P4070005.JPG

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wow that's realy neat.! Just exactly the thing I'm looking for except it doesn't have the leather edging on the pocket flaps like mine did. I may be comming to you if the next month or two doesn't turn up what I'm looking for.
Limited funds means a new battery for the bike is now a priority (as I discovered this weekend) John you are the bees knees when it comes to a sewing machine. Is there nothing you cannot make.?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Once my battery is purchased and the money from my disastrous on line purchase is returned you may be able to make a bit of money from my purse. I'll let you know.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Once my battery is purchased and the money from my disastrous on line purchase is returned you may be able to make a bit of money from my purse. I'll let you know.
I would love to say I could - but I can't do commission work at the present - or foreseeable.... sorry!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Lovely bag sir. I have a copy of the book but it’s in my ‘to read’ pile. My sewing machine skills would likely be found wanting too.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Very nice retro pack mate. I hope you have many years of fine use from it. I’m a bit envious my sewing machine skills like others would also be found wanting.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I would love to say I could - but I can't do commission work at the present - or foreseeable.... sorry!
:frown::aarghh::cry: You do realise I am now sobbing my broken little heart out now.! I'm just gonna have to try and make one myself . I'll be lucky if it lasts a week with my sewing. Now if you have a pattern for a knitted one......? (Only joking)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Knitting is a skill I would love to master - but I cannot!
I have no "left hand/right hand coordination" so cannot type (except one handed) knit or or play a musical instrument - all things I would love to do!
When I did my Btec OND in Fashion Design(as a Mature (?) Student) I bought a knitting machine and could use that, my "Swiss Darning" to make designs was creditable ... but hand knitting? - no chance!
And I detest hand sewing!
copyright

looks like a soviet army pack - doubt they will be knocknig on your door any time soon :D
Oh no - worse than that - it is "The Scout Assoc" - vindictive beggars them .. I know I was a "Leader" for 15 years! :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
How many yards of material did that take? I have a very old bivvy bag I hate that I could cut up. Perfect weight and colour but the bottom is nylon so I have been wondering what else I could do with it. This looks like the perfect project. The leatherwork could be my downfall though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE