Sycamore Goblets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Goblets by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Goblets2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

I was lucky enough to get some decent sycamore logs recently, so I have been doing a little bit of turning on my pole lathe. Rather than my usual spoons and spurtles, I thought I would have a go at some rustic goblets.

They are not very big; the largest is about two and a quarter inches diameter, so you won't be getting a big drink! The smallest is more egg cup sized, but cannot be used as such, as all of them have dried out to an oval shape. I have rubbed beeswax into them, so they ought to be able to hold a small measure of spiritous liquor.

Thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Those are nice, especially done on a pole lathe :D

I like sycamore. I know some claim that it's awfully plain, but it's a lovely wood to work with, and to use, it really is. Good sound cooking, eating and drinking stuff.
I have turned sycamore plates that are over forty years old, and they're still clean and sound, no cracks, splits or discolouration, and my rolling pin is now over eighty years old and it's the same, though a little darker with the oils from pastry. My Dad made it for my Granny long before I was born.
Nothing fancy, just everyday kitchenware.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE