On Dealing with the Water board...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I remember people at work discussing how best to fill the toilet cistern to use as little water as possible.

I guess the pennies they saved on water they had to pay as pounds forther down the time, when the sewage pipes got blocked up?

Most modern loos have a double button. The little bit flushes 'some' water, the whole bit flushes a lot.
Simpler than a brick inside the cistern or adjusting the ballcock.
The private drains are the householders responsibility, but those are connected to the combined drains (in urban settings) and then to the combined main sewer which also takes the water from the road gulley too. Effectively they're flushed out by rainwater.

Only 'wipes' and fatbergs seem to clog them. Occasionally the Council sends round one of the tankers with a nozzle that clears out the stanks of leaf litter though.

M

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I remember people at work discussing how best to fill the toilet cistern to use as little water as possible.

I guess the pennies they saved on water they had to pay as pounds forther down the time, when the sewage pipes got blocked up?
The norm for this was to put a brick in the cistern, which would have no effect on the drains, or fit a dual flush system.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As per the previous posts, my experience indicates that you will still need to pay the charges unfortunately. I was unsuccessful in attempting to argue my way out of similar charges on an old flat - where i wasn't living in it for a year as it was being renovated. There was no kitchen or bathroom, and to all intents and purposes, it was 'uninhabitable' - we still had to pay the rates though.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Even I have more self worth than that.
I don't understand this comment.

You asked how you could prove the house was uninhabitable (meaning that it is not fit to be inhabited), and you were told how to do this What has that to do with your view of your self worth? :confused3:

Proving that the house is uninhabitable isn't going to be much use if you were in fact still living in it, as far as you being liable for rates. It is your house, and if you live in it and do not maintain it, irrespective of the reason, that isn't the water companies concern. Going forward, if you don't live there, or if you cannot use the water, you can ask to be cut off.

I wish you well, and the best of luck, even if I don't entirely understand what you want to do or think you should be able to do.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne and GuestD

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Depending on circumstances there are two less well advertised schemes that are worth filing away in the back brain or chasing up at the CAB. Naturally both have caveats and qualifying for them requires a serious underlying illness or disability. However after the grind of form filling, doctors letters, assessments & home inspections then unmetered water for less than £5/month is possible.

WaterSure: All UK water companies have reduced rates IF you receive one of the means tested benefits or tax credits. OR one of the specified medical conditions
Council Tax Disability Reduction: a reduction on your bill if you or someone in your home is ‘substantially and permanently disabled’

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Simple solution: You're financial situation is dire, you have a house you don't live in, sell it. No more water charges, problem solved, money in the bank.

Reactions: Janne

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, no.

You always have sensible advice for anyones enquiries, not just mine.

I could sell the house of course, its a blame nusiance these days, and I am getting increasingly indifferent to it, but not until I get enough money to do it up...I would lose a lot of money otherwise.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
No, no.

You always have sensible advice for anyones enquiries, not just mine.

I could sell the house of course, its a blame nusiance these days, and I am getting increasingly indifferent to it, but not until I get enough money to do it up...I would lose a lot of money otherwise.
you are in a "Catch 22" situation, weigh it up, the longer you take, the more potential problems mount up. If you don't have the money for water rates, how will you pay to do the place up. And the stress of it all. I've been there, believe me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
you are in a "Catch 22" situation, weigh it up, the longer you take, the more potential problems mount up. If you don't have the money for water rates, how will you pay to do the place up. And the stress of it all. I've been there, believe me.
The obvious answer would be to borrow the money. That said, I know there are some caveats before doing that:
1) Is your credit good enough to do so (inability to pay the water bill suggests it might not be)
2) Is the housing market lucrative enough to bring enough to pay off the loan and a profit? Otherwise it’s pointless.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Regarding selling the place, have you had it looked over by several estate agents? Might not be the most appealing prospect, letting a judgemental stranger look at the place, but I believe that it could be worth it, if you want to sell. Since buying my place I have had two agents in to look at it and offer advice on work I could or should do if I wanted to either sell it or rent it out. The last time was to do with my job moving and I wanted to understand options for following it.

The feedback that I got was, if you are selling, don't bother doing anything. The house that I am comfortably living in, that is far from dilapidated, would be seen as a "fixer-upper" project house by most people who would buy it. Yeah, shocked me too. However, I have an older bathroom, both neighbours have extensions and I do not, flooring, guttering, pointing, rusting cast iron down pipes...I was told that many people would come in, get a builder, hire a skip, knock down my kitchen-in-the-coal-shed and cheap conservatory, and while they had those on hand, dealing with other things would be easy for them, but much more effort for me. Also, many people (especially women) want to put their stamp on a property, make it look the way they want. My old neighbours had an immaculate house, lost one interested couple because their house was "too nice" to fix up, and the woman who bought it promptly ripped out bathroom, toilet, walls, kitchen and redecorated the lot.

An estate agent might give you some needed clarity about what really is important, and what is not, for selling a house.

Having said all that, I am not sure that selling your own house is going to be the best for long term financial stability. I might be wrong, but I didn't think you have a mortgage on it? Paying rent could eat your capital and your income faster than paying maintenance. Not something to be taken lightly.

Being slightly fatuous here...there is always this option...
The_Lady_in_the_Van_film_poster.jpg

Reactions: Chainsaw and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is important to know in detail how much each 'improvement' adds in value vs outlay.
Sometimes just a very simple cleaning, hovering, removing all loose stuff, washing doors ( internal, external) windows and such 'idiotic' things can raise the value considerably.
Also, clean up the front and rear yard/garden.

People buy with their eyes, and in many cases think it is exciting to renovate a property from scratch.

I develop ( = fix up) about one property every second or third year. Good money to be made there.
and great fun!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I agree with your ideas about fixer uppers...But my house has so much potential...If I got detailed planning permission for everything that could be done then it would be worth so much more.

I own it outright, and in spite of my problems, I think it actualy makes me money by increase in value.

Three doors down are selling. £305K. (Very optimistic. I think they will get around £260K...)

I am a bit shocked but the bit that disturbs me is they have TWO conservatories...(Houses are L shaped; people fill in the gap then build another on the side...They certainly arent the only ones with more than one conservatories. Its a good space option. Living on my own, of course I do not worry over such things).

You are going to have to remind me that really I am a very wealthy person... (I have to do this every day)

...If only I could afford some fish and chips this weekend....

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not being fascetious, but you could 'down size'. If you are a single lady in a large family sized property, it's very feasible
Take Chris's advice and have an estate agent in to have a look and give advice on selling.
Figure out the balance between the time and effort and stress of any upgrades versus a (perhaps, it might surprise you) lower selling value, no stress, a comfortable home and perhaps a nest egg.
Then spend 2/3rds of the money on a smaller/ready to move into property, and you have money put by to pay for rates, etc., and probably fish and chips too :)

It's fairly common nowadays for folks to down size, and there's a lot of advice out there.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE