Selling banned U.K knives on Ebay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Evening all, is it still legal to sell and ship U.K illegal Knives to the U.S on Ebay / meaning there international site now a day's, As I have no idea to be honest and I'm looking for any helpful info. And if this is not even a legal question for this site ''please'' let me know and I will edit / delete it a.s.a.p
cheer's

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Legality depends on the circumstances/environment. A SAK would be illegal if you had the blade open and swinging it around with intent in a pub!

The only laws that comes into play is a) any shipping/postage laws (and that's OK in the UK as long as it's not a de facto weapon) and b) any import laws in the destination country.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
  • flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
  • gravity knives
  • stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
  • zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
  • swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
  • push daggers
  • blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
  • telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
  • batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
  • hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
  • shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
  • hand or foot-claws
  • knuckledusters

Reactions: sensi5446

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
ebay has a no knife policy as far as the UK is concerned

U.K illegal Knives/banned knives are
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
  • flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
  • gravity knives
  • stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
  • zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
  • swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
  • push daggers
  • blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
  • telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
  • batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
  • hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
  • shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
  • hand or foot-claws
  • knuckledusters

Doesn't say export which is what FF is asking

I assume that is because you won't be able to own any of the above aquired pre ban very soon...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm pretty sure that's true for some/most of them already unless you have something like proof of genuine antiquity.

The post was more a reply to the question in the previous post to mine about what are the illegal UK knives.

M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's not illegal to sell knives on eBay in the UK. It's just their policy.

In terms of selling knives on their, I've successfully listed and sold overseas with no issue.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
A lot would depend on local laws, each state have different restrictions, therefore there is always a chance the knife would be confiscated.And obviously would depend on the type of knife itself, scanning the US EBay site would give you some idea whether the knife is sellable, and of course due diligence would need to be followed in respect of age, etc

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A lot would depend on local laws, each state have different restrictions, therefore there is always a chance the knife would be confiscated.And obviously would depend on the type of knife itself, scanning the US EBay site would give you some idea whether the knife is sellable, and of course due diligence would need to be followed in respect of age, etc
Unless it’s changed there’s no age restriction here for buying knives at a the federal level.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Unless it’s changed there’s no age restriction here for buying knives at a the federal level.

I am not sure that the Law in this country would or would not apply,as it is against the Law here to sell certain knives to persons under 18 years of age, and indeed to actually sell certain knives( it doesn't state the person has to live here) I personally would at least get some sort of ID to support the sale, if for instance the knife was confiscated by Customs either here or abroad, there could be a backlash.................some of the Laws regarding certain states are a bit confusing, for instance in most states there is no such thing as an illegal knife( not to be confused with a knife, as a weapon, for instance carrying a pocket knife with a blade over 4 inches, opened and concealed, as in a purse, would constitute in some states carrying a weapon) another instance would be carrying a Bowie Knife in Alabama would be an offence, yet carrying a flick knife would be OK,iin a lot of States its an offence to carry a concealed knife if you are under 18, .
One would need to know the Laws in each state if you are going from one state to another as this would invoke federal law, as well as state law, and even local law, its just as well the knife laws in the States are lenient, its nice to see that even when they have updated their laws most states have not gone down the "knee jerk" route our Government has.

Reactions: santaman2000

Wayland

Hárbarðr
ebay has a no knife policy as far as the UK is concerned

U.K illegal Knives/banned knives are

Doesn't say export which is what FF is asking

I assume that is because you won't be able to own any of the above aquired pre ban very soon...

Not meaning to hijack the thread but have I missed a proposed change in the law?

I just ask because some of the equipment I use for my work could be affected.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am not sure that the Law in this country would or would not apply,as it is against the Law here to sell certain knives to persons under 18 years of age, and indeed to actually sell certain knives( it doesn't state the person has to live here) I personally would at least get some sort of ID to support the sale, if for instance the knife was confiscated by Customs either here or abroad, there could be a backlash.................some of the Laws regarding certain states are a bit confusing, for instance in most states there is no such thing as an illegal knife( not to be confused with a knife, as a weapon, for instance carrying a pocket knife with a blade over 4 inches, opened and concealed, as in a purse, would constitute in some states carrying a weapon) another instance would be carrying a Bowie Knife in Alabama would be an offence, yet carrying a flick knife would be OK,iin a lot of States its an offence to carry a concealed knife if you are under 18, .
One would need to know the Laws in each state if you are going from one state to another as this would invoke federal law, as well as state law, and even local law, its just as well the knife laws in the States are lenient, its nice to see that even when they have updated their laws most states have not gone down the "knee jerk" route our Government has.
No arguments about the confusion. Regarding U.K. law about selling to minors, I would presume that if it does apply when selling to a US buyer through EBay (and it well may) then wouldn’t all the other other U.K. Lawson’s well? I.E. selling “ilagal knives” at all (even on EBay to an overseas buyer?)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm pretty sure that's true for some/most of them already unless you have something like proof of genuine antiquity.

The post was more a reply to the question in the previous post to mine about what are the illegal UK knives.

M

current law would be that they would have to prove you got it after the ban not the other way round

innocent until proven guilty - thats why they plan to change the law

Not meaning to hijack the thread but have I missed a proposed change in the law?

I just ask because some of the equipment I use for my work could be affected.

yes - its going through parlamant at the moment if it makes it untouched - sales or rather posting items to residential adresses will be banned, there will be a new definiation to flick knives - which some are suggesting will cover flippers too.

Also anything on the Band list will become illegal to own now too - Up until now has not been assuming you had it before the previous law change where it became illigal to import,sell, hire, lend or give said items.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Re-enactment, and other various situations, eg, Sikhs in ceremonial dress, Antique items, will probably be allowed, if you look at the list for banned knives at present, you will see that very few knives as such will be illegal to own, what fascinates me is the description of Zombie knives,

If I have a Zombie Killer knife( I do not have one), and paint it black, taking away any words relating to violence, but maintaining the cutting edge and the serrations, would it then be legal?
Apart from swords, I doubt that the making "illegal to own the banned knives" will have a big effect on us. If swords were banned there would be a lot of stately homes with bare walls.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wow, I consider myself fairly literate but that is heavy going.

You need to cross reference three or four other documents at a time to see what amendments they are making to the amendments.

It looks like my defence of "use for work" should still hold and also "Acting on behalf of a Museum" as that is where my bookings come from.

It also looks like "Use for Education" may be added by the Lords.

Still huge amounts of grey areas to negotiate though. Hey Ho...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE