Recommendation - Sámi stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have several times mentioned that I buy (physically in the past, then online) Sami and local stuff from a small store in Arvidsjaur in northern Sweden. It is called Anna-Lisas Souvenirshop. Please be aware they do not sell Asian made tourist souvenir crap, but real locally made things!

This is the link:
http://www.presentbutiken.se/

I have no association to that business, other than being a happy customer for close to 40 years! I knew the founder, Anna-Lisa, well, she was very knowledgeable about the female Sami handiwork. I am not sure if she still is there though.

Goods worth buying (imo) is the reindeer skins, reindeer cheese, dried meat ( ask for the ‘feta’ and lots of other stuff.

If this thread is against the rules and regs, feel free to remove!

Last edited by a moderator:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A nice knife collection too!

I have one like this, which is very nice!
My father bought it decades ago somewhere in Lapland.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think, he went by auto stop straight up via Sweden to the North cape.
There he was for sure.
Usually his journeys took 8 weeks, when he was a Student.

An other summer he walked from Flensburg to Konstanz and the next one he went by bike from Hannover to Athens and back.
He was very strong and loved traveling!

;0)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, we have taken that route. But down douth from the cape. Up through Norway, down the other road. Finland and home to Jönköping in Sweden.

You can buy the cow milk Coffee cheese from Anna-Lisa, btw.
Not easy to gind the reindeer cheese. Just as impossible as buying lightly smoked and dried Reindeer heart.
They keep it for themselves!

Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nothing wrong with the thread regarding rules and regs.

I have however moved it to Other Chatter since it defies fitting well with any of the other sub-forums. Its a commercial souvenir shop, so not DIY & Crafts, which is about doing DIY and craft, not buying them. They sell knives, but reindeer hides, cheese and meat are not Edged Tools, while knives, flags, pouches, etc. are not Lovely Grub. Seems like the conversation could go in lots of directions, so Other Chatter might be best fit.

Finally, I edited the spelling of Sami (originally appeared as Same). I don't know whether Same is more or less "correct" than Sami, but in English, Sami gets read with the correct pronunciation, and Same comes out as the opposite of different.

Chris

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What a pity!

"Same stuff" -- (and inside totally different)
was the best of the thread!

I have several times mentioned that I buy (physically in the past, then online) Sami and local stuff from a small store in Arvidsjaur in northern Sweden. It is called Anna-Lisas Souvenirshop. Please be aware they do not sell Asian made tourist souvenir crap, but real locally made things!

This is the link:
http://www.presentbutiken.se/

I have no association to that business, other than being a happy customer for close to 40 years! I knew the founder, Anna-Lisa, well, she was very knowledgeable about the female Sami handiwork. I am not sure if she still is there though.

Goods worth buying (imo) is the reindeer skins, reindeer cheese, dried meat ( ask for the ‘feta’ and lots of other stuff.

If this thread is against the rules and regs, feel free to remove!

Proper 'Bushcraft'. In every sense of the word. Sami crafts always blow me away how beautiful they are.
Why would anyone waste hundreds of pounds on a 'bushcraft' knife when you could have a work of art such as these pukko knives? amazing!
I'd better start saving.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As they are Swedish, the knives are not puukko.
Puukko is the Finnish word for knife.

In the Sami language spoken in northern Sweden, it is called niibi
Adopted from Swedish or Norwegian ‘kniv’, Islandic hnifur.
My guess is the Sami took the name during the first contacts with ‘southeners’, the Norse, a language similar to todays Icelandic.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you visit, and the owner is there, say Hi from the ’Jägaren’ she sent foods to England to. See if she remembers me!

But you csn get excellent stuff st home!

Last night we had some nice reindeer ’skav’ I cooked with kantareller ( from can) and rømme.

Bought in Leknes in a supermarket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE