Day Out The view from the bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks to @Philster for the heads up on the Brit army bivi, I was struggling with a Dutch version and the smaller Brit army one, seeking some alterations to improve the entry/exit of them but the newer xt bivi as it’s called is great, the opening is huge and was perfect last night.
First night out in yonks and I slept like a baby, in the bag by 8pm and apart from one call of nature at 4am I slept in until 6.30!!
Slept under a spruce tree that gave me a great canopy and shelter from the mist that had moistened everything except me this morning....first coffee of the morning while still in the bag and used my lk35 as a backrest to enjoy the view....magic.
EDF6410-D-4-B2-D-47-DF-B666-E93-B4-CD3-F985.jpg

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Good to get out for the night and a nice way to wake up. :thumbsup:
I collect my bivvy bag from the sewing shop on Monday with a zip installed. I know I will have lost a certain, but small percentage of it's waterproof quality, but I only ever use it under a tarp, so that's not a problem. Just being lazy really, but fed up with wriggling around like a Caterpillar on Steroids getting in and out of the bag..:biggrin:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Isn't it a shock when you wake up to realize how well you have slept?
Thanks, I like to see what you see, regardless of the housing situation.
Question: What sorts of forest sounds in the mornings? Just birds?

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Good to get out for the night and a nice way to wake up. :thumbsup:
I collect my bivvy bag from the sewing shop on Monday with a zip installed. I know I will have lost a certain, but small percentage of it's waterproof quality, but I only ever use it under a tarp, so that's not a problem. Just being lazy really, but fed up with wriggling around like a Caterpillar on Steroids getting in and out of the bag..:biggrin:
Maybe it’s my peculiar shape! but I just sat up and sort of drew my knees in and I was out!! And in ...in reverse order :cool:
I love it, can see myself having all sorts of under the stars adventures with it.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Isn't it a shock when you wake up to realize how well you have slept?
Thanks, I like to see what you see, regardless of the housing situation.
Question: What sorts of forest sounds in the mornings? Just birds?
Was a shock as I’m normally (in a domestic situation!) a poor sleeper, maybe I belong in the forest!
The birdsong is prevalent and beautifully deafening in the morning, evening is a quieter chorus, just after dusk is when the true noise starts with the barking of our smaller deer species Muntjac and Chinese water deer.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's how it has to be done!

I recommend to use only the german army folding mat (425g) instead of your ground sheet.
It's better to use the smaller thing, that fits exactly under the bivvy. So you don't collect rain under yourself.

Last edited:

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
That's how it has to be done!

I recommend to use only the german army folding mat (425g) instead of your ground sheet.
It's better to use the smaller thing, that fits exactly under the bivvy. So you don't collect rain under yourself.
Good thinking, the German army mat kind of makes the groundsheet redundant anyway I guess, took it along out of habit but it will stay home now!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I pull the mat over some grass or other plants to clean it a bit, and then I fold the dirt INSIDE the mat, when I fold it the first time.
Because they usually fold in one direction you have to keep that in mind, when you take it out of the ruck sack and put it on the ground. (perhaps you simply write your name with an Eding on one side, to make it easier)

The result is, that one side stays clean, and the rucksack stays clean too.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I use additional a light NATO poncho and very thin and light lines to attach it. (diameter 2 mm, orange)

If I reach a place if it is still raining I use it as a small tarp. It protects a bit the entrance of the bivvy bag and one isn't forced to go to bed immediately.

Off course I don't tension it always, I do it only if it's still raining, when I reach the place.

I think the Defcon 5 Poncho is the best option. It costs round about 40€, weights only 400g, is relatively short but protects the Arms very well, because it is 165cm wide, and it is original military equipment, used by the Italian army. The italo camo blends in british nature very well too, especially if one sleeps on grass.

400g usually is the weight of a light rain jacket. So I can save a lot of weight if I let rain jacket and tarp (min 600g) at home and take only the poncho instead of both with me. If I don't need the rain jacket in summer times as a wind breaker over a fleece jacket that is a good lightweight solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd and ScottE

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Great photo which emphasises just how little you need to enjoy a nice night out under the stars. The British army bivvy is very hard to beat in my opinion. Like you, I find that the large opening of the bivvy offers ample room to get in and out without too much trouble.

I expect I'll be doing some similar bivvy camps in the coming months. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: ScottE

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag is very comfortable too!
With the half length central zipper I get there in an out very good, in heavy rain I sleep on the left side (how most people do it in theyr bed) , so rain can't enter and I put a bit of fabric under the face to make sure that I will breath out side the bivvy bag. And at the upper side I can form a little umbrella from the bivvy bag's fabric to protect the nose from rain.
That works very well in all conditions.

The Snugpack special forces bivvy bag weights only 340g and fits perfectly over the very light and compact Special Forces 1 sleeping bag. I keep the sleeping bag always in the bivvy and store both together in an oliv green Ortlieb 7 litres ultra light dry bag. That fits perfectly.

I prefere this combination over the British Army bivvy bag, which I own too and used before.

Because I always put the german army folding insulation mat under the bivvy, it doesn't disturb me, that the Snugpack SF bivvy is relatively thin and less bomb proof than the British Army Bivvy bag.
The oliv Snugpack bag blends in the nature very well, on the ground we are visual protected by the lowest vegetation. Even in high grass I am totally invisible from a distance of 6 metres. (And that's the minimum! The farmer should have a chance to stopp his tractor!)

Yes, as you see, I am a lightweight fan!

I hate it to carry a heavy ruck sack around.
And Snugpack Special Forces 1 sleeping bag (1030g) and bivvy bag (340g) and Defcon 5 poncho (400g) are a fantastical light option, invisible green and with NATO stock numbers too.

I surely own 20 different sleeping bags and had another 10 before it. My current sleeping system is the best I ever used.

And with the option to connect SF1 and SF 2 sleeping bag with the adapter I reach the lowest temperatures we have to expect in Germany.

I really love this system! In my opinion it's perfect.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Usually insekts follow theyr jobs:
They run around and try to find something to eat. Or they look for a wife perhaps.

If you didn't eat cakes in your sleeping bag, there isn't anything of interest for them. So they perhaps look at you, but they leave you after it.

In a modern tent we have far more problems with them, because they do not find the exit.

I never found a bug in my sleeping bag. And I am camping since 40 years all over Europe.

Off course you have to avoid areas where midges are living. Small lakes and a bit forest for example. And you should avoid the sleeping and living spaces and ways of larger animals, because there ticks could wait for you. To drink some drops of clove oil every morning when you are out can help against them, a head net and a baseball cap worn in the sleeping bag can help against midges.

But it is better to choose an open place where a little wind is going through. Midges do not like this. A light open hill usually is a nice place to stay.

It is necessary to put every morning your sleeping bag in your dry bag after you dried it if possible. And keep all your stuff you don't use in the closed ruck sack. Insects want to hide themselves under and in your stuff during the day, slugs as well.

Most insects do not attack us and there are a lot of them everywhere. There isn't any reason to have fear about them in the northern parts of Europe. Just watch them relaxed!
You are far more dangerous for them, than they could be dangerous for you, and they know it!

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
@Erbswurst @Barney Rubble
Looking forward to summer bivi-ing.....what do you guys do to prevent bugs in the bag with you?
I’m hoping the Brit army lightweight bag with it’s mesh will suffice.

I don't do a lot if I'm honest as the bugs rarely seem to bother me and I've never had any experience of anything trying to crawl into the sleeping bag. There are some basic rules to follow though such as folding over the open end of the bivvy bag when not in use and doing some ground work to ensure that you're not setting up on an ant nest!

In terms of flying insects, I'll pop a citronella candle in the lantern and spray on some Avon skin so soft if I am worried about getting eaten. I don't tend to have too much trouble where I camp though, I'm very lucky!!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Horse flies live next to horses and cattle.

That's also not the best neighbourhood for a nice weekend in the summer.

Cows can become dangerous if they think, that you could become dangerous to their children, and they get regularly visits of their farmers.

We call it "cowboy camping" but I recommend to avoid the neighbourhood of cows!

Last edited:

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Horse flies live next to horses and cattle.

That's also not the best neighbourhood for a nice weekend in the summer.

Cows can become dangerous if they think, that you could become dangerous to their children, and they get regularly visits of their farmers.

We call it "cowboy camping" but I recommend to avoid the neighbourhood of cows!
Yep, well aware of horse flies....
Pretty savvy with most creatures, mossies and midges are my only concern

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Off course there are some areas where technical protection against insects is the best choice, like in the endless midges forests in Finland.
But usually the secret is simply to look what happens and to walk away if it seems to be somehow stressy. Often the insect situation is very different every 500 metres.

One reason more to start to watch out for a good sleeping place two hours before sunset.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE