Next level spoonage.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Saw some of his work at wilderness gathering. He's got an amazing talent. I could hardly believe his work in the flesh. Photos don't do proper justice. And that's no reflection on the photo. He's truly amazing.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The prices he charges.... and believe me they are expensive, you wouldn't want to use them. When you handle one you can see why. They are exquisite delicate works of art. I have actually picked up the mushroom one . It's so light you can barely feel it in your hand. No I'd never use one. It would go in a glass cabinet of treasures as far as I'm concerned. They are just so beautiful.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The prices he charges.... and believe me they are expensive, you wouldn't want to use them. When you handle one you can see why. They are exquisite delicate works of art. I have actually picked up the mushroom one . It's so light you can barely feel it in your hand. No I'd never use one. It would go in a glass cabinet of treasures as far as I'm concerned. They are just so beautiful.

If you work out the cost of the items against time they are very reasonable.

The barn owl spoon works out at £3.16 per hour

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Amazing.
How on Earth is that possible, with the variations in the wood?

His skills are fenomenal.

The negative is, when you see work like that, you lose the interest in carving yourself. My stuff looks like it is made by a new born.......

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They are truly stunning and mark out the maker as a talent of Grinling Gibbons stature. I can understand the desire to carve such astonishing objects, so beautifully but it seems a little odd to label them as 'spoons', which are humble, practical objects, when they are, quite obviously not. It would be a little like using the Mona Lisa as a decorated tea tray. So I will keep carving spoons, safe in the knowledge that I can actually use them!

Reactions: DanBow

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Welsh love spoons are often quite elaborate and I have some antique silver spoons that are unnecessarily patterned so I'm happy they're called spoons but I agree, a simple functional carved spoon is a pleasure to make and use :)

This is a rather simple one compared to many. Not mine I hasten to add! (from the Love Spoon Gallery)

e18d03a9d31136d9ecb4832c6422af62.image.250x377.jpg

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
Those spoons are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. The comments on the fact that they're 'spoons' and calculating their worth at an hourly rate is interesting though.

How much would I pay for one of those if it were cast from a mould, or 3d printed? A fiver? A tenner? (Personally, I wouldn't but one at all!) The fact that they were made by a man though, spending a huge amount of time applying obviously very well developed skills to do something that a machine cannot is what makes them so special.

It makes me wonder. What have we each done, or can we do that can't be easily replicated and surpassed for pennies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Exceptional stuff, highly skilled and very patient, one of the biggest stumbling blocks I have is not enough time or just too much imaptience to try soemthign that detailed, not that I could knock out one if I wanted to!

He well deserves whatever price he's asking and someone will pay, unique bit's of crafting...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE