WILD BEAVERS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
SCOMAN said there were farmers wanting to blast them out of the water.
That smells like farm and machinery damage. Boost a few up into the trees.
Big bang or no noise at all, says I.

Lots of paperwork BS to do that here since they are classed as fur-bearers.
Easier to plead the case with the local trapper, even if it costs a bottle.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Farmers always complain....
Too wet, too dry.

My family were farmers until 2 gen back, I have heard it all....

Those were beavers originally from Bavaria. German beavers are very efficient.
(I assume it is in the Tay area where they complained)

Reactions: Sundowner

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would not assume that I knew what the interaction is or was.
Might be a good subject for SCOMAN's prying eye, yes?

Suppose you have a $500 pump in a shed down at the creek for all your farm & domestic water needs.
Tomorrow, you have NO WATER as the little SOB's have flooded the pump house and burnt out the pump motor.
There is a .30-'06 lead & copper jacket cure for that. And another GD pump motor to pay for.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Chaps, have you noticed that the last 13-14 posts have all just been the two of you...and very little new in the way of ideas.

Brian, we get it, you don't like them, no need to keep repeating it, and enough with the exhortations for the Scots to import your solutions of dynamite and lead!

Janne, yes, you told us that their fur was nice 15 posts back, in case anyone here might have overlooked the 200+ year fur trade.

You might think that I enjoy nagging you, but I really don't. However, I know that having the two of you playing post-ping-pong while everyone else quietly wanders off isn't good for the forum either.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I never said that I don't like the beaver. It is a statement of fact that they are very destructive.

I do not exhort any removal method over another. More statements of fact. Extremes, but facts.
I'm an advocate for sustained yield instead. I said so, ad nauseum.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I never said that I don't like the beaver. It is a statement of fact that they are very destructive.

I do not exhort any removal method over another. More statements of fact. Extremes, but facts.
I'm an advocate for sustained yield instead. I said so, ad nauseum.

While you didn't "say" you don't like them, it is a fact that you referred to them as "bustard" "vermin" that would take a river valley ecosystem and turn it into a "wasteland" of "fetid swamps"...over night if the "buggers" are nocturnal. That more than suggests that you are neither neutral nor a fan. You might see that as a statement of fact, but there is enough work out there on the bio-diversity and benefits of beaver ponds for someone else to dispute your negative view with facts of their own.

For instance;
...as the beavers have coppiced trees, the willow thicket has been replaced with sunny glades of wild flowers – marsh thistles, water mint, meadow sweet – which dance with dragonflies and butterflies.

“The beavers have transformed this little trickle of a stream into a remarkable, primeval wetland,” says Mark Elliott, lead beaver project officer of Devon Wildlife Trust, which released two beavers here in 2011. “This is what the landscape would have looked like before we started farming, and it’s only six years old. That’s the amazing thing.”
But it’s the beavers’ water works that have really struck those studying the site in west Devon. Its small beaver ponds and soil saturated by damming hold nearly 1m litres of water. Scientific instruments measure water flows and quality above and below the site. The beaver dams improve water quality. (Phosphates and excessive fertilisers washed into waterways can create toxic algal blooms, which can be fatal for anything from fish to swimming dogs.) Exeter University researchers have collated data in a remarkable graph showing flood events. During heavy rain, the volume of water flow increases rapidly above the site, creating a dramatic spike in the graph. But when the floodwater is measured again below the site, there is a gentle curve. In other words, the beavers dramatically reduce the peak flow of floodwater on this stream.

Reactions: Sundowner

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I just read that over 21 beavers have been found shot in Tayside??

That they are not protected?
Weird that, spending hard cash and time trying to reintroduce them and then anybody can shoot them!

It seems farmers are afraid of them spreading disease. Leptospira is one they have and can spread. TB? I do not know.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I just read that over 21 beavers have been found shot in Tayside??

That they are not protected?
Weird that, spending hard cash and time trying to reintroduce them and then anybody can shoot them!

It seems farmers are afraid of them spreading disease. Leptospira is one they have and can spread. TB? I do not know.

That was in 2015; there's an ongoing review into protection and certainly the farmers and landowners on Tayside are not very keen.

Reactions: Janne

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
In approximately 65yrs I've yet to find a happy farmer, or, one that doesn't know everything.
They, as a part of society, are having (unfortunately) a lot of say.
Sure, they are a hardworking bunch but I'm sick of hearing that "we have done it like this for generations"!!!

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE