WILD BEAVERS

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Limited as I've been with getting out I've been monitoring the preparation of the local beavers for winter. I noticed their activity a few years ago and had heard they were well established on the Tay but I'm based quite far up a tributary to the Tay, the river Earn, and they are undeniably here. I bought a cheap wildlife cam and after a few failed attempts managed to gain some footage.

Since then I've occasionally gone down to see their handiwork. I was worried at one stage as they didn't seem to be making that much impact but they're back with a vengence.

PDP05206.jpg

PDP05245.jpg

Their handiwork is something to behold and their speedy progress through trees young and old is very impressive. My understanding is that the larger trees are brought down to process the cellulose underneath the bark where they lie. I've noted that they have brought down smaller trees and removed them entirely. I don't think they'll be in a lodge, it's noted that they can live in a riverbank so I guess the smaller trees are taken away as food to be used later. Most of the trees have fallen and been stripped of their bark leaving only the bottom of the bark in place. Obviously too difficult for the beaver to remove. It does however provide ample birch bark for fire starting and in large A4 sized sheets. I still find it incredible the amount of damage caused to the trees purely by teeth. I know they're not carnivores but imagine the damage they could do with their teeth to another animal if they set their mind to it if they can do this to a mature established tree.

PDP05321.jpg

PDP05222.jpg

My aim for Christmas holidays is to do a slightly more detailed observation of the area to see where the beavers are most active. Then I plan to build a hide of some sort and see how active they have been. I'd like to get my drone up but there is geese, swans and ducks in the area and I wouldn't hold out much hope for my drone if it came up against any of them. I will also deploy the the wildlife camera to see what I can catch at night. I would love to get a cast of a pawprint but the ground around the fallen trees just isn't suitable.

More pics over on my blog

And just for fun

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent stuff :D

Destructive little blighters when their teeth itch though.

I've excavated a beaver dam, well part of one, and recorded another one, for Geography, that was eroding out at the Yorkshire coast. Tremendous industry they show, it's like the most enormous bird's nest but in the water. Often so neatly interwoven and firmed up to shape, that it's incredibly robust.

Could you not maybe set up a sand trap near where they're sited ? see if you could get footprints that way ? just fill with plaster. Clay works, but if it's wet it just fills up and goes like slip.

Thank you for the photos and the film, it'll be interesting to see what you record in the future :)

M

Reactions: SCOMAN

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have some excellent ( i think , others views may differ ) video of the Beavers we have down here in Devon on the River Otter. I will attempt to remember to upload it.

Reactions: bopdude and Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The complete and utter destruction of a flowing water ecosystem. Still, fascinating to watch.
For camera placement, dig a substantial hole in the dam. The beaver will notice the water level dropping in the lodge entrance.
You maybe don't want to be there when they show up to make repairs. If they're like ours, quite unpredictable.
As I have seen, capable of killing an adult Rottweiler dog.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. I crossed paths with a local veterinarian here for many years.
He claimed there wasn't a dog on the planet that could kill a beaver.
4 x 1/2" sharp chisel teeth are better than even odds.
Some dogs survived with hundreds of stitches.

If you bugger up a dam here, the beaver will chase you. They are fearless.

Have a couple of friends who are magic with trail cam placement.
Far more than enough day and night images for a spectacular calendar.
Deer, moose,bears, Lynx, coyotes, rabbits. All inside the city limits.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Can anyone see that ? Should be a vid of a Beaver swimming. Its shows for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE