Knife handle advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Hi all just making a knife handle out of the handle from a pair of garden lobbers I found in a skip. The wood looked interesting with a nice looking grain and as I sanded and filed the shape it has become a very light colour. So my question is what is the best thing to use for the finish to slightly darken and protect the wood?
Cheers, Riven.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Danish oil will slightly darken the wood, and give good protection for the handle. Depending on how smooth the wood is, and how many coats you apply, it should give a satin sheen.

Reactions: Riven

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Danish oil is my weapon of choice for knife handles. It will simply darken it to the colour it is when wet. If that is not enough and you need it darker then I think you can get coloured danish oil.

Linky to Colron

HTH

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Teak oil worked well for me on a knife I handled in dead Ivy stem.
I bought a leuku blade with a rat tail tang by Lauri and fitted it with a handle cut from an old Ivy stem.

I chose the Ivy because it had an interesting curve and attractive grain. I was advised by an expert who had studied hard at the University of You Tube that the Ivy handle would fail, but to date, some years later and after many coats of Teak Oil the knife is still in one piece. I use it regularly but confess I don't batton it as I use a hatchet when required.

Nearly finished..

As it is now...The Teak Oil has darkened the wood.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hi all just making a knife handle out of the handle from a pair of garden lobbers I found in a skip. The wood looked interesting with a nice looking grain and as I sanded and filed the shape it has become a very light colour. So my question is what is the best thing to use for the finish to slightly darken and protect the wood?
Cheers, Riven.
I like to use a diluted solution of a water based wood stain of a colour you like on the almost finished handle. One thin layer at a time, let dry, another layer, and so on, with light sanding between, until you almost reach the desired darkness.
Then BLO.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Burn it with a gas torch till it’s as dark as you like then rub down with wire wool . Wipe with some cloth and then clear vanish

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wood water is replaced by air in dry wood. That's why most, sap wood in particular, look so pale in service.

If they don't leave the finishing to the customer, the wood shop down my street
finishes all rustic wood furniture with MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish =
It is satin with 1 coat and water-wet glossy with 4 coats. It darkens the growth ring and heart wood
while leaving all the pale sapwood a pleasant warm color, a little sort of yellow, I'd call it.

I may use paints but if not, all of every on of my wood carvings is finished with TOPF.
Dish 07.JPG

Reactions: Janne

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Thanks for all of your advice guys, I have finally made up my mind and have gone with boiled linseed oil. Still waiting for it to dry and will post pics when finished.
Cheers, Riven.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE