Looking for a new bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
yup.

ebay - get a Berghaus Cyclops Roc or Cyclops Crusader - the Roc is about 85ltrs and weighs about 1.2kg, the Crusader is about 90ltrs, takes two 15ltr zip-on side pockets and weighs about 1.8kg.

you'll get both in very good condition for less than £60 or so. they will be 15-30 years old and will last another 30 years. the back system is simple, its old fashioned, but its bizaarely comfortable.

if you fancy something that looks a bit less agricultural you could go for the Berghaus Cyclops Vulcan or the Karrimor Condor - again, Ebay - they have a more padded, complex back system and therefore weigh a bit more. the Vulcan weighs about 3kg and the Condor will be something similar - the Condor is huge, something like 120ltrs, but its let down by its lid, which is about the size of a barn door, meaning that when the rucksack is 30% empty the lid rattles around like a demented thing.

my favourite is the Cyclops Roc, its the lightest of the big rucksacks, and it will take a 1 man tent, sleeping bag, air bed, and 6 days food, fuel and clothes for a winter trip across Scotland with ease, or tent, sleeping bag, air bed and food, fuel, and clothing for 10+ days in summer. if i need more stuff i just bungee some drybags to the sides - you can get side pockets for them, but they're only 5ltrs and not worth the effort. i also have an Alpkit Gourdon 20ltr waterproof bag that i stuff under the lid, i use that as a daysack if i want to dump the big rucksack somewhere and go and have an explore...

personally i'd ask yourself if you really need a 100ltr+ bag - if you fill it can you really carry it any distance? can you cross a river with it, can you climb over a stile or a fallen tree with it?

Last edited:

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
I have an Irish Army Lowe Alpine Saracen in Irish DPM camouflage, brand new with all straps and pouches that I'm looking to sell.
Think it's approx 120 litres in size, more when the side pouches are added.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
www.asmc.de
sells Eberlestock

BUT are they worth the money?
I red about from someone who changed to Savotta, because he managed to break one.
Ok, unusual use, no question.

Räer in Hildesheim offers a lot of used large Cordura Military Rucksack. Others in Britain exist surely too. To buy military surplus for most people is the best deal.

I dont know how you are looking, how strong you are. But more than 80 litres can usually carry only professional soldiers and other very strong men!

Perhaps it would be intelligent to invest the money for the Eberlestock in a modern light weight equipment? Light, small, compact?
Something you are able to carry when you should become a bit older too?

Reactions: Artic Bob

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
www.asmc.de
sells Eberlestock

I red about from someone who changed to Savotta, because he managed to break one.

Savotta have come up on another forum recently as being very strong bags. Personally I stick with a Berghaus Munro and a Lowe Alpine Sting for day pack and several nighters. I don’t carry long distance, though I have done a few miles with the Sting + side pockets full and really struggled. The Saracen is huge, but will be well built.

Rucksacks seem to have style cycles. A few years ago Maxpedition could do no wrong, then Tasmanian Tiger, Hill People, Eagle Industries, Eberlstock, and now Savotta is the word on the street.

I like this video of a Savotta bag, though I’m sure I see a rip at the bottom where daylight is visible when he shows the inside.

Reactions: Erbswurst

denmyos

Jun 5, 2013
dk
I have an Irish Army Lowe Alpine Saracen in Irish DPM camouflage, brand new with all straps and pouches that I'm looking to sell.
Think it's approx 120 litres in size, more when the side pouches are added.
That's the one im already having. I'm looking for something little more fancy. :)

I have also looked at the karrimor predator 80-130, but i'm guessing its basically the same as the Saracen, just a little bigger.?

denmyos

Jun 5, 2013
dk
www.asmc.de
sells Eberlestock

Räer in Hildesheim offers a lot of used large Cordura Military Rucksack. Others in Britain exist surely too. To buy military surplus for most people is the best deal.

I dont know how you are looking, how strong you are. But more than 80 litres can usually carry only professional soldiers and other very strong men!

Perhaps it would be intelligent to invest the money for the Eberlestock in a modern light weight equipment? Light, small, compact?
Something you are able to carry when you should become a bit older too?

I'm 52 now :)

But i hear what your saying. :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

denmyos

Jun 5, 2013
dk
yup.

ebay - get a Berghaus Cyclops Roc or Cyclops Crusader - the Roc is about 85ltrs and weighs about 1.2kg, the Crusader is about 90ltrs, takes two 15ltr zip-on side pockets and weighs about 1.8kg.

you'll get both in very good condition for less than £60 or so. they will be 15-30 years old and will last another 30 years. the back system is simple, its old fashioned, but its bizaarely comfortable.

if you fancy something that looks a bit less agricultural you could go for the Berghaus Cyclops Vulcan or the Karrimor Condor - again, Ebay - they have a more padded, complex back system and therefore weigh a bit more. the Vulcan weighs about 3kg and the Condor will be something similar - the Condor is huge, something like 120ltrs, but its let down by its lid, which is about the size of a barn door, meaning that when the rucksack is 30% empty the lid rattles around like a demented thing.

my favourite is the Cyclops Roc, its the lightest of the big rucksacks, and it will take a 1 man tent, sleeping bag, air bed, and 6 days food, fuel and clothes for a winter trip across Scotland with ease, or tent, sleeping bag, air bed and food, fuel, and clothing for 10+ days in summer. if i need more stuff i just bungee some drybags to the sides - you can get side pockets for them, but they're only 5ltrs and not worth the effort. i also have an Alpkit Gourdon 20ltr waterproof bag that i stuff under the lid, i use that as a daysack if i want to dump the big rucksack somewhere and go and have an explore...

personally i'd ask yourself if you really need a 100ltr+ bag - if you fill it can you really carry it any distance? can you cross a river with it, can you climb over a stile or a fallen tree with it?

Thank you i will look around For those packs. :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The point is, that you can carry a modern light weight equipment in more or less every rucksack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE