Razor clams for a woodland lunch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The rule for Mussels/cockles etc is if they remain open after tapping them before cooking they are dead and should be discarded then if they remain closed after cooking discard them.
Small crabs can get trapped in them when they close as the tide goes out, must either irritate or tickle the heck out of them but if the above rules are adhered to then there is no issue with eating the mussel. Discard the crabs as they are a bit crunchy :D. I have never found them in rope grown (commercial) mussels but sand/rock dwelling ones are more likely to have grit or even baby crabs washed into them so a soak in clear seawater will help swill them out.
Great video btw , Rob.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
The rule for Mussels/cockles etc is if they remain open after tapping them before cooking they are dead and should be discarded then if they remain closed after cooking discard them.
Small crabs can get trapped in them when they close as the tide goes out, must either irritate or tickle the heck out of them but if the above rules are adhered to then there is no issue with eating the mussel. Discard the crabs as they are a bit crunchy :D. I have never found them in rope grown (commercial) mussels but sand/rock dwelling ones are more likely to have grit or even baby crabs washed into them so a soak in clear seawater will help swill them out.
Great video btw , Rob.
Cheers Rob, I'll bare that in mind from now on

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
The little crabs are commonly called Pea crabs, the females enter the mussel or oyster at the larval stage and remain there eating bits and pieces the mollusc is filtering for it's own dinner.
They are perfectly edible and even considered a delicacy. Gobble them up I say.

BrokenDoll

Jul 4, 2018
Berkshire
@ 3.04 That looks like a penis caught in a vice :***:

What do they taste like? (razorclams I mean)

I used to love seafood before I went veggie :biggrin:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE