Insomniacs unite....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I've been in the Navy for a long time and insomnia comes at the worst times.
This past year I've been working shiftwork ashore: two 12 hour days (0600-1800), followed by two 12 hour nights, then 5 days off. The cycle is hardest after my second night shift.
Last year, when I was still on a ship, I listened to a radio interview with a Psychologist who researches sleep aid techniques. The best his lab came up with is this:
1. Choose a word (6-10 letters or thereabouts)
2. Start with the first letter of the word and think of as many words as you can starting with that same letter.
3. If you got 2 or 3 or 4 seconds without coming up with a word for that letter move onto the second letter of the original word.
4. Think of as many words as possible starting with the second letter.
5. Continue until you fall asleep.

The reason this method works goes something like this. As we fall asleep, our mind opens up and starts allowing random neural firings. It's why we cannot concentrate when we're falling asleep and why we get those little micro dreams as we're drifting off. The above technique puts the cart before the horse. As you randomly think of those words, you are causing very fast random thoughts and tricks the brain into going to sleep.

I used this technique during my last four months sailing and never had a problem getting to sleep until about 8m seas kicked in during a Nor-easter.
Now that I'm doing shift work and sometimes need to sleep during the day, I use this method and can drift off usually in less than 5 letters (10-20 words per letter).
The more you use it, the easier it becomes.

I found an article describing the method.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/15/shuffle-thoughts-sleep-oliver-burkeman
That's a neat little trick !

Not that I need it, I'm usually asleep as soon as the head hits the pillow ...
But I did suffer from insomnia when younger and I remember it being a real pain.

This is very clever and useful should it ever come back .
Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Morning :)

I've been up for an hour now, did try going back to bed, but it's not working. Had nearly six hours though, so, yeah, functionable, just would have liked another hour and a half.

Wildlife's interesting early on though. Fox and cub, two woodpeckers, assorted wee birds, a mouse, and there are already bees in the foxgloves.
Kind of chilly, especially for June, though.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
At least it's midsummer, Mary, I used to suffer dreadfully with the affliction but it's much easier to bear when you can get stuff done in the daylight and relative warmth of Summer.

We haven't had a single shirt-sleeve morning yet this year but I suppose it'll come.

Reactions: Billy-o and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh yes :)
It was a beautiful dawn this Solstice. Bright and golden, and it had that quiet chill that's wonderful for wandering. A bit nippy sitting with a cuppa though.

I quietly pottered around the garden (I've sprained my knee, but it's healing, just it still feels hot and tight and tender yet) but wasn't up for anything heavy.
The high hedge needs pruning and the geans need cut back too. I think I'll leave that for the menfolks this time. I know I can't kneel comfortably yet to do the weeding,
so it's looking a tad untidy. I might delve into the shed and see if I can refind the long handled hoe, and figure out how to use it again.

It's a lovely day here, and I have discovered the quiet pleasure of an afternoon nap in a shady bedroom. I'm starting to appreciate the continental siesta type thing :)

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not have any problems falling asleep, but have since a year or two hade the need to go up and empty my bladder once or twice in the night.
The joys of being a gently maturing guy.....

Tablets help a bit though. Before I started taking them it was twice or three times a night for the VC visit!

My biggest problem is that I wake up just after 6 every morning, usually a bit earlier in the weekends.

I used to love to sleep in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE