Tree/bush ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the photos and information, gentlemen :D
There's a shrubby tree along the back lane that I had no clue about. Pretty sure that's what it is now.

cheers,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm thinking Elm, I'll have a look at a few more samples tomorrow, but i'd been wondering if it was Elm but dismissing it, so that sort of fits and I'm fairly sure they're alternate buds...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know the ones along the back lane aren't elm. We used to have Wych elm, but they died off in a really dry hot summer. They'd rooted into the clinker of the old mineral railway line and it's pretty dry anyway.

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You haven't looked at the young field maples in Hemel then Chris. Loads around here that are like that :)
Nope, can't say I have. My close contact with the species has been with older trees and up in the midlands. The elm bark like that is obvious enough that I see it on trees in hedges that I drive past! I know I drive past plenty of field maples, but had never noticed the bark being similar. Will take a closer look.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll probably take a walk later and have a closer look and get some more pics of different parts of the tree and see if there's any more mature ones close by...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE