Planning UK Walking Adventure Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

Been working hard on developing my skills and equipment over the last couple of years and a few bushcraft meets and now looking to do a UK based mini-expedition. However, I am struggling to work out where to start looking for ideal locations.

Details: I am looking at doing a multi-day backpacking trip in the next few months, I would like to be able to hammock camp along the route but I do have a tent if that's not feasible. Ideally, I would like to get away from people and preferably not be up in the mountains too much.

My first thought was Scotland, but getting eaten alive by midges would not be ideal and I don't know the best places to avoid them at this time of year. I am open to the idea of popular trails from campsite to campsite, but the thought of a featureless grassy field dotted with caravans just makes me that little bit depressed.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Trips I did in my youth included :-
1, train to Chesterfield. Walked to Bakewell, Buxton then Eyam and back to Chesterfield in a diamond shape.
2, train to Carlise the walked Hadrians Wall to Newcastle
3, train to Edale then walked Pennine way

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've done the South Downs way and the Ridgeway path from Avebury wild camping along the way. Finding water without leaving the paths was the main difficulty. Start and finish points accessible by public transport.

Thetford Forest is a favourite of mine for wild trekking. Getting to and from start/finish a bit of a problem. I arranged lifts.

Often recommended is Dartmoor. One day I intend to try it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, assuming you're starting from scratch and not done this before, I suggest you either go with someone that has done it before or you do a part of one of the well documented routes in the UK - you're spoilt for choice. The problem with most of the main UK routes is that they are not generally through woodland and hammock camping will be limited. That's why I always carry a ground-sleeping system as well.

Research any of the UK routes - the Pembroke coast path, the Pennine Way, Offa's Dyke, South Downs Way, the Lyke Wake Walk - all great routes and with published guidebooks that tell you where you can stay etc.

Or, get some back issues of Trail magazine or similar where overnight adventures are quite well described (if you Google them you can see what back-issues covered).

I'd start with a one or two-nighter not too far from where you are to test your kit out and the weight of your pack etc. - maybe just to a camp site and back - then go on to something 'wilder'.

You say not up in the mountains but, for me, there's nothing better than waking early on a sunny morning camped by a mountain lake :)

South coast? Beautiful, nice people, not too many bloodsuckers!

Sounds great, heard it's warmer too. Can you recommend any particular area?

Trips I did in my youth included :-
1, train to Chesterfield. Walked to Bakewell, Buxton then Eyam and back to Chesterfield in a diamond shape.
2, train to Carlise the walked Hadrians Wall to Newcastle
3, train to Edale then walked Pennine way

Will be checking these out, thanks.

I've done the South Downs way and the Ridgeway path from Avebury wild camping along the way. Finding water without leaving the paths was the main difficulty. Start and finish points accessible by public transport.

Thetford Forest is a favourite of mine for wild trekking. Getting to and from start/finish a bit of a problem. I arranged lifts.

Often recommended is Dartmoor. One day I intend to try it.

Yes, I've heard Dartmoor recommended quite often. It ticks quite a few boxes in that there is a lot of empty space to wander as well as a tolerance of wildcamping.

OK, assuming you're starting from scratch and not done this before, I suggest you either go with someone that has done it before or you do a part of one of the well documented routes in the UK - you're spoilt for choice. The problem with most of the main UK routes is that they are not generally through woodland and hammock camping will be limited. That's why I always carry a ground-sleeping system as well.

Research any of the UK routes - the Pembroke coast path, the Pennine Way, Offa's Dyke, South Downs Way, the Lyke Wake Walk - all great routes and with published guidebooks that tell you where you can stay etc.

Or, get some back issues of Trail magazine or similar where overnight adventures are quite well described (if you Google them you can see what back-issues covered).

I'd start with a one or two-nighter not too far from where you are to test your kit out and the weight of your pack etc. - maybe just to a camp site and back - then go on to something 'wilder'.

You say not up in the mountains but, for me, there's nothing better than waking early on a sunny morning camped by a mountain lake :)

Still working on buddying up to some of my more experienced colleagues to do a trip, but I don't generally know that many people. Working my way through the guidebooks is a great tip, thanks. I'm pretty comfortable with my camping set up as I have done numerous day hikes as well as a few overnighters as part of bushcraft meets, I've also been adding weights to my rucksack that I carry on a daily basis and I reckon I have a decent idea of my physical limitations.

Really appreciate the advice so far, looks like I have some more reading and research to do :).

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Llanwrtyd Wells-> East up through the Hennog forest to Llyn Brianne reservoir->North to the Dolgoch bunkhouse.

Can be done in a day but the last 6km is extremely hard as the temptation to camp out by the water is overpowering.

From the Dolgoch bunkhouse it is an easy'ish day hike to the bothy where the rules are a little more tolerant towards bushcrafters and pretty much deserted on weekdays even in summer. Powerful lonely place where you could will spend a whole day watching the rain and roasting wet socks by the fire.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...train to Chesterfield. Walked to Bakewell, Buxton then Eyam and back to Chesterfield in a diamond shape.

That sounds like a superb trip, although buses also stop at chesterfield station now, so I think I might be tempted with "train to chesterfield, bus to the other side of town, walk....". I've been looking at the Derwent Valley Heritage trail as a multi day trip in the not too distant future, I think it looks like a steady walk.

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've always fancied doing the Leeds Liverpool canal for some reason.

A bit of the Pennine way is along canals [or at least I walked along some - maybe that was a bit where I was locationally challenged! :)], I've known canal boaters and helped occasionally, there is something quite friendly and easy going about canals [at least when your away from cities...]

That Chesterfield trip was when I was quite young, just got a map and looked for green bits, learned of the Peak District got an OS map found out a train went there, looked at the map a little and decided I could walk 'x' far a day and those places were near so set off - didn't even have a compass and only a spoon - I was disgusted at how heavy my pack was so threw literally everything non-essential out! had a great time, even if a little cold:)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've always fancied doing the Leeds Liverpool canal for some reason.

Chesterfield canal would make a good two/three day walk actually, it's all quite tidy these days. 50(ish) miles, Chesterfield to the Trent, pretty much all downhill. I've never really thought about walking towpaths, I imagine there's some really interesting routes out there.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
, pretty much all downhill.

Yep, got fed up of hills so the idea of canal paths popped into my head as they'll be flat :) apart form the lock bits... [look up Caen locks :)]

Kind of got into rivers at the moment and walked the local one with the kids for a day one way then a day back last summer - they want to do it again, youngest son wants to bike ride it! From source to sea is around 60 miles and would love to do the whole lot but I've other things to spend my time on at the moment. Good things about rivers is there are towns fairly regularly spaced along so good for supply [pub] stops.

I'd also love to walk the entire coast of the UK but that'd take ages.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yep, got fed up of hills so the idea of canal paths popped into my head as they'll be flat :) apart form the lock bits... [look up Caen locks :)]

Kind of got into rivers at the moment and walked the local one with the kids for a day one way then a day back last summer - they want to do it again, youngest son wants to bike ride it! From source to sea is around 60 miles and would love to do the whole lot but I've other things to spend my time on at the moment. Good things about rivers is there are towns fairly regularly spaced along so good for supply [pub] stops.

I'd also love to walk the entire coast of the UK but that'd take ages.

I've never visited Caen locks, but I have been to Marple junction, which was the first place that sprung to mind when I posted "mostly downhill", the canal in Marple is really downhill (viewpoint dependent obviously).

60 miles from source to sea sounds like a lovely three or four day trip.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As already suggested look up the long distance foot paths and trails. Like the Serpents Way. Offas Dyke. The coast to coasts.

Lots of support available for those that require it from luggage transport to good public transport routes.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm at the sea end so it'll be uphill for me but then again 120 miles for walking back too - any excuse to get an extra few days out n' about :)

I thought about turning round and walking back the Pennine way when I finished, but got on a train and went further north instead.

People were astounded that I was carrying everything when doing path walks as many that I met who were walking had their stuff transported from bnb to bnb! But then you've got a schedule you've got to stick to. If you have everything with you, you can pack in walking early if you find a nice spot or carry on going if you feel fresh and things are going well [and if you get lost you've got everything:)]. Thinking back on it I can't work out if folks were astounded that I was carrying everything or that my small pack was everything I needed...

Reactions: shaggystu

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
How about the North Norfolk coastal path, link it up to pedlars way, no mountains, far enough to feel away from it all but never to far from civilisation. I have done this a few times, pleasant and none too tiring. Good for some one new to walking or a seasoned traveller.

Great, thanks all.
So far I have:
  • Chesterfield loop
  • Carlisle to Newcastle along Hadrians wall
  • Pennine Way
  • South Downs Way
  • Ridgeway Path
  • Thetford Forest
  • Dartmoor
  • Pembroke Coast Path
  • Offa's Dyke
  • Lyke Wake Walk
  • Anglesey Coastal Path
  • South East Coast Path
  • Llanwrytd Wells to Dolgoch Bunkhouse
  • Leeds to Liverpool along the canals
  • Serpent's Way
  • Coast to Coast
  • North Norfolk Path
Time for some research I think, I will pop back here when I'm done to let you know which route I'm going for.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Great, thanks all.
So far I have:
  • Chesterfield loop
  • Carlisle to Newcastle along Hadrians wall
  • Pennine Way
  • South Downs Way
  • Ridgeway Path
  • Thetford Forest
  • Dartmoor
  • Pembroke Coast Path
  • Offa's Dyke
  • Lyke Wake Walk
  • Anglesey Coastal Path
  • South East Coast Path
  • Llanwrytd Wells to Dolgoch Bunkhouse
  • Leeds to Liverpool along the canals
  • Serpent's Way
  • Coast to Coast
  • North Norfolk Path
Time for some research I think, I will pop back here when I'm done to let you know which route I'm going for.

That's an awesome list of walking routes, not sure how many would fit your criteria of "mini expedition" though: for example the South West Coast path is about 650 miles, most of which are pretty steep, definitely not something I'd want to tackle in any kind of "bushcraft" style.

How much time do you have to devote to the trip?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE