Kathryn Be free water bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I saw on of those, charcoal filtered collapsible bottles on YouTube. Seems you fill it up on whatever freshwater you're next to and bingo you can drink it.
Has anyone got any experience with them? Not cheap I might add!!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Hard to see an advantage of it over a Sawyer mini/squeeze setup.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Its made by Katadyn, so will be fit for purpose. They (only) make good reliable equipment. There is no charcoal in it, it uses similar hollow fibre filters to those in the Sawyer. The only "problem" is likely to be that it only works with Katdyn bottles which have a 42mm thread, whereas Sawyer can use "standard" soda / water bottle threads (28mm). Good review here:
https://sectionhiker.com/katadyn-befree-water-filter-review/

Here is Katadyn's description:
https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/37914-8019640-katadyn-beefree-3.0L_usa

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah they have a 3L bottle version, only saw the 0.6L (pint) bottle which seemed only useful for specific niches.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Looked at the sawyer mini thing. Looks good and is certainly cheaper and lo get lasting.100.00 gallons? And you can get extra bottles for a tenner? Makes sense to me, thank you for telling me about those Jared

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have tried the Sawyer and the Katadyn Be Free and much prefer the latter. When added to one of the (extremely good) HydraPak bottles - I have a 2 litre one - it forms a really functional water purification set-up. OK, with the Sawyer, you can use old soft drinks bottles, saving money, but the problem is filling them efficiently: their openings are too narrow for convenience. It is perhaps here that the Katadyn wins the day as both the Katadyn-supplied bottle and the HydraPak have wider openings, making filling significantly easier. That, and a better flow rate through the Be Free filter clinches the deal for me.

You might save money with the Sawyer system but, every time I head out, it's the Be Free + HydraPak combo that's in my rucksack.

These are merely observations from personal experience. As ever, I've absolutely no association with either company; I'm just a happy customer.

Reactions: Sundowner

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Well, in the nuclear arms race that is water purification, Sawyer have just gone fusion. Their new "Select: bottles, at the topend, not only remove bacteria, but also pesticides, viruses, and heavy metals. Pricey at $90 for the top model here,probably that in pounds in the UK. Worth a look.,
https://sawyer.com/products/select-filter-and-purifier/

Haven't found them in any online retail system yet,but no doubt soon. There are a few youtube video reviews but nobody seems to know exactly what is in the system,apart from the microfibre filtration system in the mini and squeeze(and purifier for the virus filter version).

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Can anyone advise me on the following? My Katadyn befree bottle tastes "plasticcy" even though i put only tap water I to it so far......about 25 times so far. Is the filter faulty??? Rreally could do with feedback on this one. Plus, who else can I ask?

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I have tried the Sawyer and the Katadyn Be Free and much prefer the latter. When added to one of the (extremely good) HydraPak bottles - I have a 2 litre one - it forms a really functional water purification set-up. OK, with the Sawyer, you can use old soft drinks bottles, saving money, but the problem is filling them efficiently: their openings are too narrow for convenience. It is perhaps here that the Katadyn wins the day as both the Katadyn-supplied bottle and the HydraPak have wider openings, making filling significantly easier. That, and a better flow rate through the Be Free filter clinches the deal for me.

You might save money with the Sawyer system but, every time I head out, it's the Be Free + HydraPak combo that's in my rucksack.

These are merely observations from personal experience. As ever, I've absolutely no association with either company; I'm just a happy customer.

Just wondered if you have this "plastic" taste with your be free filter? I'm thinking my 0.6ltr Katadyn be free bottle filter might be faulty?
Thanks for any pointers

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Just wondered if you have this "plastic" taste with your be free filter? I'm thinking my 0.6ltr Katadyn be free bottle filter might be faulty?
Thanks for any pointers

Sadly, yes: it does taste 'plastic-y'. I'm not entirely sure why or how best to get it back to a more pleasant/acceptable taste. I suppose things like bicarb. or drops of pure soap might affect the action of the filter, so I'm reluctant to try them but I think I'll have to give one or other of them a go soon and see what happens.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Sadly, yes: it does taste 'plastic-y'. I'm not entirely sure why or how best to get it back to a more pleasant/acceptable taste. I suppose things like bicarb. or drops of pure soap might affect the action of the filter, so I'm reluctant to try them but I think I'll have to give one or other of them a go soon and see what happens.

Thank you for that Tiley. At least i5 saves me sending it back and this may also be an indicator for when to change the filter:)

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I had the same issue with a coffee maker tank, a couple of trips though the dishwasher sorted that. If your bottle is DW 'safe' give it a try.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I had the same issue with a coffee maker tank, a couple of trips though the dishwasher sorted that. If your bottle is DW 'safe' give it a try.
Since they are collapsible and of a very soft plastic I'm sort of hesitant about your suggestion. But thanks anyway !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE