stick tang bushlore clone style knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 17, 2017
Noreay
Hi!

Looking for a new knife and have gotten as far as this:

- I do like woodlore style knives
- Stainless seems the best option for me (lots of wet weather, and I am not always able/good at keeping my knife dry, it will also sometimes be used in salt water conditions)
- I want a strong knife as I sometimes do a bit of light batoning and chopping in firemaking (please dont see this as an invite to yet another baton or not discussion, there seems to enough of those in various forums).
its quite cold here so I am thinking that a knife with a strong bit stick construction might be better than a full tang. Given the abuse for instance fallkniven knives can take it seems to also be strong enough even for some of the rougher tasks?
- Wood handle, no plastics or micarta for me
- Not too thick blade as I like using my knife also for cleaning and sometimes fileting fish (2,5-3 mm?)

Some questions I am wondering about:
1. will the combination of (large) stick tang, wood handle and somewhat thinner blade make such a construction prone to breaking the handle? Or does it seem feesible?
2. Any good tips for knives or makers?
3. around how much should I be expecting to pay for a custom bushcraft knife like this (I know, its a bit like asking "how much does a car cost", but some ballpark numbers would be helpful :) )

Kjetil

Oct 17, 2017
Noreay
Oh, and a semi full tang solution might be an option as well. The Helle Temagami has this but I didn't really like the shape of it and prefer a knife that works with a firesteel

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Have a look at Brisa.fi. They’ve just released a scandi stick-tang in elmax that would fit your description.

Oct 17, 2017
Noreay
Hi! Have looked at some Helle already, but they are pretty far away from woodlore clones in their look. The one I liked the best of Helle knives is the Temagami but its not really the right one for me. Generally I like the idea of covering the handle or parts of the handle more than a regular full tang, but I there is something with the look of the typical norwegian knives that doesnt work for me. Same with Brusletto. Both great producers but just not he right type for me.

Any good tips for the best custom makers in the UK?

Oct 17, 2017
Noreay
basically a knife that can do everything?...

Haha! Yes exactly!

But correct in a way. I was thinking if its possible to get something close to the original woodlore, or even better: the Bark river Aurora LT (which to me is perhaps the most beautiful knife I have found so far), but with either partial (like Temagami) or large stick (like fallkniven F1) tang.

And in wanting that, but not finding it, I am wondering if I am just bad at looking for it, if my wishes are unrealistic or just weird enough that its possible to get but I would need it done by a custom maker. If the latter I am guessing that is bad for the wallet, but could lead me to ending up with a knife I would appreciate even more for its craftmanship.

Last edited:

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
I'm really liking the new enzo nordics, particularly the hiker, thanks for the heads up Hibirion!
Kjetil you might be interested in Dorset woodland blades on the English handmade knives website. They have a stick tang blade with a very "bushcraft knife" profile. It's not stainless but I'm sure it'll be a grand bit of steel that could be a great knife.
Incidentally i recently made a stacked handle puukko with a brusletto blade and its a great little knife. Id certainly trust it in the woods!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
You could go with an almost full tang just have it the final handle profile perimeters the tang by say 5-6mm or more then you could still have the woodlore look and use cross pins, cost wise, well that would depend on the maker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE