Logging saw restoration.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've been away from the tools for some time, due to health. But.. I'm finally edging back into the game and today was a great start for me!

Anyway, enough about me. A big old bundle of tools was sent my way a while back and in it were 5 loggings saws in large to xxxl 2 man size lol. All rusty and pretty minging.

Long story short, today I tackled the smaller one as practice for getting back full time.

The essential 'before' pictures..

F8aYoWF.jpg
3NG03DO.jpg

And the centre of attention, the 'after' pictures..

jKDuAeY.jpg
6E8c54E.jpg

The steel was flaking with rust blisters and the handle was dryer than a .. well, you know the many suitable jokes. :)

I blasted it with a wire wheel on the angle grinder, my work horse. Never had a wire wheel for it before so was fun to use and did a good job, the I hand sanded with a sanding sponge and oiled with wd40. The handle was messy, I gave it a whip over with a flap disc on the angle grinder, a good sanding sponging then some vegtable oil.

I do need to set the teeth and give them a proper sharpen but the main body and what not is good to go. It's either a hangable decoration, or a beast to take logging. I haven't decided as I have 4 more to do.. lol.

Anyway, I hope to get back to business soon and start doing regular updates on projects like I used to.

Thanks for looking!

Samon

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Nice looking crosscut saws there dude. Sharpening and setting those things is a religious experience for enthusiasts

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Cheers guys! :)

Well someone's gonna have a field day setting all of these.. (sure isn't gonna be me lol)

GntFJpb.jpg

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wow! That saw turned out really good! Great job! Makes me believe there might be hope for the old ones in my own barn.
Good luck with sharpening the teeth! You must be a very patient person.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That looks to be a really classy saw. The big clearing teeth at either end of the main section make sense, but I can't quite sort out why the tip has smaller simple teeth. Maybe a saw expert can explain why.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That looks to be a really classy saw. The big clearing teeth at either end of the main section make sense, but I can't quite sort out why the tip has smaller simple teeth. Maybe a saw expert can explain why.
Never used a saw like these and would love to but I think the smaller teeth would help start a cut more accurately?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a great restoration, very nicely done :)

TThe big clearing teeth at either end of the main section make sense, but I can't quite sort out why the tip has smaller simple teeth. Maybe a saw expert can explain why.

It's to allow the saw cut to be started on less aggressive teeth. Few strokes on those then you have a kerf that allows the saw to set in nicely for the main teeth

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious aswell. Am I right in assume the kerf wells in the centre of the saw are more shallow because it's been used alot, or are they like that by design?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious aswell. Am I right in assume the kerf wells in the centre of the saw are more shallow because it's been used alot, or are they like that by design?

Yup, it's due to it being a well used and sharpened saw.

Originally the wells would have been the same depth all the way along and the main cutting teeth would have been the same level as the teeth at the front of the saw where you can see it's a distinct step between the two

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That means that saw has-been used for years! Is it worth grinding the curf wells back in to normal depth..? Or just sharpen and set.

I've talked my brother with the job of setting and sharpening the ones I clean up. He has a particular 'personality' that's suited to those sorts of monotonous repetitive tasks.

The others do not appear to have anywhere near as much use the largest looks unused under all the age.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd say don't mess with them. Clean them up, sharpen them up, showcase working tools and some that never maybe tasted wood.
Nice to demonstrate how use and wear changes the stock character of the blade.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep that cleaned up one has seen some sharpening in its life. I agree with RV above, let its age and use show and tell its own tale
Personally i love seeing shallow rakers, short chisels, or bull nosed axe heads...just adds to the story and sentimental value of a tool imo

Btw, did you know the two holes in the blades are for a secondary handle?
The one near the normal handle is just to get two hands on the saw. The one near the tip is for a second person

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep that cleaned up one has seen some sharpening in its life. I agree with RV above, let its age and use show and tell its own tale
Personally i love seeing shallow rakers, short chisels, or bull nosed axe heads...just adds to the story and sentimental value of a tool imo

Btw, did you know the two holes in the blades are for a secondary handle?
The one near the normal handle is just to get two hands on the saw. The one near the tip is for a second person

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah I knew they are two man saws, no extra handles though.. shame really!

The handles on the larger true two man saws are wood worm motels lol. Long since evicted though and nothing I can fix.

I do however really want the steel from the biggest saw. I'll never use it and it has little monetary value but the steel will be used for dozens of projects.

Or is this blasphemy? Lol

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very handsome. Its always a pleasure to see old tools done up, -they deserve it.

(though the thought of actualy having to use it makes me sweat.)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Go ahead, repurpose the steel. Happens here a lot. Everything from laser-cut signs to ulus and other knife blades.
The thinking is that it's a big piece of good steel so don't throw it away. Too much of that happens as it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE