Khukuri advice required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A word of warning about drilling holes in your wood, draw it out on paper, as a cross section, and figure out whether the tang taper is going to cause any problems with the screws needing to go through the wood at something other than 90 degrees to the surface of the wood. The over size tang holes may help with this.

With a simple tang taper, from blade to butt, if you cut your wood to be parallel blocks, and drill through on a press so the holes are 90degrees to the face (easy way, throw block on drill table, drill), the bolts will bind up and struggle to go through when you try to put the two blocks on the tapered tang.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
tapered tangs need a bit of math, as said drill holes 90 degree's and pins wont go through both scales. you'll need to measure the width at the thickest and thinnest and work out the difference, divide it by two and find something that thickness to lift one end of the scale.
ie 5mm thickest 2mm thinnest you'll need to lift 1.5mm
if drilling from the outside of the scale lift the front... inside lift the rear... or was it the other way round? i have it drawn on my shed wall next to the drill to remind me!

you only need to be a little out and your pins/bolts wont go throug

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Thanks for all the advice on the tapering. I guess this applies equally to the section of the tang that tapers from spine to edge ie has to be levelled along two axis. Should be fun. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE