Steampunk Tool Chest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice collection John.

We were in Lincoln on Saturday. Some amazing stuff on show, we had a great time.

Events like Asylum certainly bring out the crowds but I'm hoping we can create something more camp oriented next year because I think it is a better social environment.

As I say, saw lots of great costumes and the like but didn't get much chance to talk to people.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Good point. I know that a couple of re-enactment groups have used the castle grounds to camp in overnight and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Glad you had a good time. The steampunk festival is one of the year's highlights here in Lincoln. Brilliant to see so much creativity and good humour.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Inspired by Wayland's great work I picked this up today. It was labelled as a carpenter's top box. The first thing to go will be the nylon rope handle but otherwise a little sanding, polishing and other gentle refurbishment should turn it into something quite nice.

Then I need to sort out all my 'Steam Punkish' tools - nothing with plastic handles :)

Cheers,

Broch

old tool top box 2.jpg

old tool top box 1.jpg

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Hi Broch,
That's an interesting piece. It may indeed have been a carpenters box but speaking as a traditional signwriter, that looks like an old signwriter's kit box. Drawers for brushes etc with the space underneath for pots of paint. Ought to be signs of paint in the grain if so. Just a thought.
Good luck with the restoration. :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very nicely done Wayland. I've always found Steampunk stuff to be quite fascinating. I had no idea there are faires themed around it. Get many blacksmiths at them? Andy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Leon,
I see what you mean - you may well be right, but if that's what it was made for I don't think it was used for holding paints as there are no spots of paint anywhere on it :)
I was contemplating making a couple of stacking trays to go in the bottom - just a thought. It's going to have to wait a few weeks I'm afraid; too many jobs in the wood at the moment!

Cheers,

Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I visited Whitby and Crewe events this year and there were blacksmiths at both with some excellent 'stuff'. One guy at Crewe made all sorts of artistic objects out of motorcycle and car parts - a glass covered coffee table made from a Porsche gear box for example.

This photo doesn't do his work justice but you'll get the idea.

Cheers,

Broch

chain lamp.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As I cannot repair the original picture links I will have to repost the pictures here. Sorry about that.

Toolbox-III.jpg

Toolbox-II.jpg

Toolbox-VI.jpg

Toolbox-V.jpg

Toolbox-IV.jpg

Perfect-Handles.jpg

Square-Chuck-Handle.jpg

Pad-Saw--Levels-and-Turnscrew.jpg

Last edited:

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Beautiful work. I've been looking to do something similar so I can dress up my blacksmithing display when do public shows.

Customers really pick up on the small details and it's those little things that can really set your operation apart from the herd! Kudos on a job well done!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You are right Vaughn. I look for care and attention when engaging a craftsman for a commission.

It's not just the work on show because I always assume that is the best, it's the stuff they don't show you that you can get a feel for by looking at how they treat their own kit.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see what I call (and use) as a wok spoon, to the left of the candle, beside the fork.
A thousand meals since I bought it, decades ago. Where, I can't recall.
It most certainly is something I'd expect to see a blacksmith make.

Of course the work boxes the tool boxes look so practical but crafted.

What's standing up on the far right edge of the picture? A folding table?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE