Gloves for around Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on what gloves to use around camp.

What I'm hoping for is a pair of gloves that a heat resistant (grabbing and holding pots and pans from the fire) and sharps resistant (ideally protection for hands but not restrictive in use of hands when using knife/ hatchet.)

What are you guys using? Or would a standard pair of leather gloves from the market suffice?

Cheers.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I don't bother with gloves when using my knife or axes as I feel it takes away the connection between hand and blade. Every time I've worn gloves I've felt unsure and unsafe handling them.

For handling pots and pans around the fire I just use a pair of welders gloves from toolstation

82526.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I use Showa grip gloves a lot. they are rubber faced, give a tremendous increase in holding ability, and are relatively good with hot stuff. Maybe not quite as heat resistant as leather, but much better in the wet, for moving slippery logs.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Thanks Gents, i knew you'd come through.

@ Mesquite, I know what you mean about the connection, I'm the same. The more tactile the better.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Have browse in here. I've used Cutter gloves for stuff like shelter building when I've wanted to protect my hands from thorns etc, rather than when using an axe or something. (previous satisfied customer. Good value too)

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Rigger work gloves for me as well.
cheap, easy to put on and can be flicked off easily when the other hand is holding something
Doesn't matter if they get burnt from holding a pot too long or filthy dirty from digging roots
Fit in a thigh pocket with room to spare.
they are part of my standard kit I carry on me (rather than in my day pack)

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I use a pair of full leather gloves from the gardening section of B&Q/homebase. They're lined with fleece/light felt

No problem grabbing hot pots/pans or even moving hot wood. They've survived years of abuse and the fingertips are looking quite black and dirty now. But they're great and make good normal gloves for when it's cold. Also used for collecting firewood or handling anything rough/sharp

From memory they were less than a tenner (but that was many years ago). I don't use them when using tools, always barehanded for that. Have been considering punching a couple of holes in them so I can clip them to my belt with a carabiner, they usually get stuffed in a pocket

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I use leather firefighter's gloves. They're flame retardant, waterproof and insulated.. so you can grab a burning log on the fire to move it out of the way, pick up a boiling pot and there is a good range of movement with them.

Only issue is the price... they sell for about £100 new... but military mart sell second hand ones for about £15. They're a bit worn (obviously) and mine were previously owned by Sam (of Fireman Sam fame no doubt) as indicated by the name Sam written on them in permenant marker. Good set of gloves until the seams give way... once water gets inside and you attempt to use them near a fire (or a forge as I did) you'll end up with a steamed hand really rather quickly.

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
Leather driving gloves for me. Comfy and handle hot duties fine. I use them mostly when gathering and processing firewood as I always seem to get hacks and splinters on my hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I use rigger gloves from work too, they are a suede/leather type. At work I have to handle molten polymer and metal at temps exceeding 360 degree's. The only issue with the rigger gloves is when becoming worn, they have a tendency to split at the seams inside the thumbs, and you don't tend to notice until you pick up something hot and grip it! So, those using rigger gloves on hot things, keep an eye on your thumb seams!

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If you haven't decided already a simple pair of unlined leather gloves will be ideal.
I have got some Belgian army leather gloves from varusteleka which are really robust so I got another pair for work. Thick leather with a strap to tighten them at the wrist. Being unlined makes them ideal for use year round, they fit well with room for a pair of wool gloves underneath. I like them that much I use them on my motorcycle rather than actual biker gloves.
Leather gloves in general are great as it is easy to maintain, won't readily burn, can be treated to resist water, are wind resistant and provides excellent abrasion resistance and decent cut/puncture resistance. Ideal for general camp chores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE