Poor show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
You have the National Parks and similar areas?

In Sussex you have Ashdown forest for example.

Of course, the logical rules apply. Leave it as it was before you.

I think the Scandihooligan 'Right to Roam' is ideal, but considering the lack of discipline amongst some elements of the British population it would not work I suspect.

no camping, no hunting, no fires, no fun.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
no camping, no hunting, no fires, no fun.

Go for a walk, breath deep, smell the green, enjoy the place, the space, the atmosphere, the season, the weather, the daylight, be aware of what lives, grows and thrives.
You don't need to kill stuff, or set fire to stuff to have fun :rolleyes:

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Go for a walk, breath deep, smell the green, enjoy the place, the space, the atmosphere, the season, the weather, the daylight, be aware of what lives, grows and thrives.

M

Bang on!..............

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
TE=Toddy;1819387]Go for a walk, breath deep, smell the green, enjoy the place, the space, the atmosphere, the season, the weather, the daylight, be aware of what lives, grows and thrives.

M[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Up here it's fine, so long as it's for personal use and you're not denuding the place.
"It doesn't just grow for you", said my Granny what feels like a lifetime ago.

There are all sorts of pockets of land where folks wander, roam, quietly forage in season. From overgrown walkways and lanes to national parks, riversides to the edges of playing fields.

It's all very well declaiming land ownership, but if you haven't paid for it then it's not yours to do with as you chose. That's the law, and at best it's just discourteous to destroy someone else's property, but it's actually illegal to behave as the folks who built that den did. That's why the police are involved now.

You can grow a heck of a lot yourself in a small garden :) not just flowers and fruits, but wild plants root and seed easily. Willows will grow happily along a fence, and you can cut them back year after year after year. Basketry, cordage, dye and charcoal. Wild fruits will thrive given sunlight and water. From wild strawberries to brambles. Make your garden a wildlife haven and it'll reward you every single day, and night :) Herbs and medicinal plants grow and fall back through the seasons. The ransoms, pignuts and lesser celandines come up and fall back as the bluebells and the blackcurrants and rhubarb green up and smother them. The comfrey and the coltsfoot give way to the raspberries and the quince and sloes. Just now the foxgloves and figworts are tangled through the roses and gooseberries, and the goosefoots are branching up nicely. The meadowsweet is just coming into flourish but the elderflowers are turning to berries. The ladies mantle is in full flower (as is the honeysuckle) but the bracken's uncurling into huge fronds.
It's how nature does it, why should the garden be different?
Apples, pear and cherries thrive in our climate. They are now available as very small root stock trees too. Elders will grow anyplace they get a chance, I have blackthorns too, and a beech hedge…..and my garden is relatively small. I still grow more fruit than three adults manage to eat, and I'm not trying hard these days. It fed two growing lads with ease, now I give away as much as we eat. The only herb I buy is basil, because we're too cold and windy for it here. The ponds are full of reeds that gave me bag loads of pollen, the newts are a quiet delight to sit and watch (fun to go out after dark with a torch and watch them swimming around the waterlilies and the watercress) foxes and badgers wander through, bats fly over head squeaking and burping their way along the tree line and gable walls, there are literally dozens of different birds visit through the day too.

If I can see all that in a garden, a woodland is a wonderland :D

M

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester

M

I think its a case of know thyself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Then go and join an angling association and learn to fish. You pay to help keep their fishing places in good order so that you can enjoy the benefits.

Or go and take part in the beating, get to know folks, you might find yourself invited along. Or do the licences and do some pest control for farmers. Rabbits, pigeon, squirrels and rats are all considered pest species. If you must shoot something, be useful.

Fires ? not your land ? tough. You can have a fire on the intertidal zone of the foreshore though, so long as it's not an specified marine habitat, or next to homes, public carparks, etc., no byelaws agin it and you clear up after you.

Forest fires are horrendous things, so are moorland ones, if you don't know the substrate (pine roots and peat soils are definite no-no's) then don't do it. If you damage someone else's property you can only expect folk to get truly cheesed off, and in these litigatious times (and trail cams, etc.,) if they can claim for damages more and more are doing so.

Leave no Trace means thinking about what you're doing, about knowing how to have the fire and clear away leaving neither mangled trees or firescars. If that means you need to raise the fire, fine. The folks who set up that base didn't give a damn and it shows.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fire is a wonderful tool, but it's a harsh master.
I think being aware is the greatest education we can give anyone. Look wide, everything is interconnected and just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should.
We all make mistakes, do silly things, but if we learn from them, well, there's hope.

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I suspect that some people seem to think that just cos some of us aren't seeing this as THE MOST IMPORTANT THING mankind faces this week that we approve of it.

Yeah, its naughty and I don't condone it but I also didn't come out of the womb aged 45 so have seen enough (lets face it and been involved in) enough to realise that kids are often silly.
If you absolutely hammer them with the harshest punishments possible you stand a good chance of just turning a basically good person who's sometimes a bit daft into a proper criminal.
There's loads of blokes I know who are basically just a good hardworking dad who way back in their day were fairly bad lads, they grew out of it with a bit of aid from the local community.
A quiet chat with the local copper, maybe a bit of work repairing the damage and a tad less melodrama?

Now I'm guessing that if asked "Whats the worst thing you've ever done?" some of you might mumbleswerve for a while before admitting to " Running through fields of wheat" or the like. Never give answers like that cos as our illustrious Prime Minister now knows, nobody ever believes those answers.

Anyway, I've rated this thread a five as its been entertaining and as even the faintest hint of conflict usually results in a threadlock (remember the mention of Loctite earlier in the thread?) this mild debate has lasted a lot better than I expected. :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Most of the land in this country is owned by a privileged few, has been for eons, and probably always will be.

I will accept that what these 'kids' did is wrong - technically - but it was the same privileged few that own all the land, that made up all the rules!

The vast majority of the population have to scratch around in the limited space left over, where everything seems to be prohibited.

Of course there have to be laws to protect peoples property and maybe these 'kids' went too far this time, but I dont have much sympathy for rich land owners who want to keep vast tracts of land all to themselves and make a big deal out of naff all.

Now I must dash, next doors kids are in my garden looking for their ball - "Jeeves get my horse ready and fetch the hounds" :)

There is land that is owned by the priveleged few, and there is land that is held for the benefit of the public, and you know what, it does not matter who owns it, if you do not respect it, it is ruined. So many scars from ill considered fires, so much rubbish left on public access land, the land does not care who owns it, damage is damage.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I have to say, I am very much enjoying the conversation and debate going on in this thread. It had the potential for entrenched positions but as ever some great points and insight based on experience has won through!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Talking over a point via a keyboard is a whole way different from chatting over a cuppa. It is at this stage I would voice my opinion that if ALL the humans where to disappear from plant earth, the plant would not blink an eyelid. That being said "WE" have had an impact and some "natural" landscapes where in fact formed by mans intervention. Over a cuppa it would not come across as me being a " ^&$"(&%( " or whatever you wish to call me. Is the objection that some one has done some thing wrong; illegal , some one has done some thing naughty ; made a mess or or something unforgivable; used a bit land that is not theirs. If the landowner actively cared for this patch of land would they not have spotted it sooner. Plus his "active care" does not extend to flood defense it would seem. I do accept the following comment as pure bitchy but could it be that the original compliant was because it looks like it was set up by working class folk!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey, if I'd had the resources to build something like that when I was young and care free, I'd have been over the moon.

Vandalism? They built something, perhaps not something that everyone appreciates, but its not as if they've scrawled on the walls of a railway tunnel or smashed up a bus shelter. They are outdoors, enjoying themselves.... and the fact it's within spitting distance of the farm... you can't build all that without someone noticing something!

Given the scale of what they've accomplished, personally I'd be asking those who made this to contribute more to the outdoor environment, ask more of their friends to join in and actively encourage them to take an interest in the area as a whole.

Honestly, they had the good sense to designate a bin. Vandals don't tend to collect their rubbish together in on location do they?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Cradles tin mug of steaming coffee trying to ignore swmbo giving him grief for brewing up with a meths stove in the office...

If I recall correctly at least one of the Scottish bothy's was constructed without the landowners permission and has been allowed to remain standing. Just saying you know.. If the woodland is open to the public then some form of woodland structure could benefit the visitors and the landowner. Probably when of the best examples comes from south of the border in Haldon woods near Exeter where a folly resembling a ruined cottage acts as both a magnet and containment for young folk seeking forest fun where even fires are tolerated. http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/portfolio/ruined-cottage-in-haldon-forest/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE