Once upon a time, in the middle of nowhere... (Pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Arya: what sorts of fish are in your river? From river to plate seems a process that BIG FOOD can not mess with.

It turns out here that a most important piece of habitat in rivers are the conifer trees that fall in as the banks erode.
One experimental river had trees pushed in every 200m for many km with a doubling of fish production over the 10 years of the study.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
There's mostly Brown Trout in the river, but I hear that people also get Brook Trout now and then :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The horse meat scandal was a scandal not because there is anything wrong with eating horse, but because there was no control over the horses that had entered that food chain. Horses are often given drugs by vets that could make the meat unsuitable for consumption, for example.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If it isn't obvious what your food is and where it comes from, it's about time you asked.
The vendors are hoping that I'll buy what they have. My money, my health.
Never imagine that Big Food will be fair and honest.

I can imagine that Arya has clean local produce and meats all around her.
So do I. Mostly a little more expensive than in the store but the local people
don't have the economy of scale which would come with 2,000 laying chickens.
At least, I even know what the local chickens are eating.

Here, there's a clay granular insecticide listed for use on potted ornamental flowering plants, like chrysanthemums.
Lots of people got really sick one summer from eating watermelon.
Turned out that the watermelon growers had figured out how to wash the insecticide out of the clay granules
so they could spray it on their melon crop.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The horse meat scandal was a scandal not because there is anything wrong with eating horse, but because there was no control over the horses that had entered that food chain. Horses are often given drugs by vets that could make the meat unsuitable for consumption, for example.

In sweden it was a scandal because it is culturally wrong there to eat horse and people were angry because they lied.
It was said the horses were mainly from Rumania, inhumanely slaughteted and exported for 'non human consumption'.

Findus used to be Swedish brand, still seen like one there, which got the people angry.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I suppose that would be a more fitting description here too.
Lucky I've got sunglasses on most of the time, or I would suffer welding blindness or snow blindness more than once.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Judging by appearances, many of them really should have kept all their clothes on.
Especially when it looks like pigs fighting in a bag.
Here. it's the spring heliskiiers with the burnt faces and goggly eyes!

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Thought about you the other day, went and bought a 2 yr old baby stallion, keeps company to the old lad, he's 15. A friend,s mare is foaling from him this summer, if it's a boy it will come and live with his daddy at our place after weaning.

The "first kiss" 5min after coming home with the new guy

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Thought about you the other day, went and bought a 2 yr old baby stallion, keeps company to the old lad, he's 15. A friend,s mare is foaling from him this summer, if it's a boy it will come and live with his daddy at our place after weaning.

The "first kiss" 5min after coming home with the new guy

Two good looking lads! I hope they get along well :) It´s always nice when stallions can have a social life with another horse. It worked here too, until the first mare arrived.
Even though the stallion never could see her, he could smell her, and all bets were off. His best buddies became potential rivals, and it is really unpleasant to try to separate a fighting stallion - 600 kg, or even worse, two fighting stallions - 1200 kg :deadhorse:

I hope all goes well with the foal that´s coming! We are expecting a foal here too, in the beginning of July :)

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
No mares coming to our place, the closest one is a mile away and hopefully stays there. He takes a car ride and goes to see the girls, not the other way round.
Yeah, boys need friends too.
Being a vet and previously a horse handler, the other half knows what it's like. Used to work at few studs.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
you are not only a good 'natural' shot, the ammo seems to fit both guns well too.

What other guns do the club members have?

I handled a CZ gun, 557 Lux, a couple of months ago, felt very, very good.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE