Best / Favourite UK Legal Pocket Knife..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Does Mora make a folder though?

You do like taking things off topic :rolleyes:

No, they don't. Why should they? If they thought the market was worth the investment, for a well established fixed blade knife company who already have their niche, they maybe would have done.

On on the other hand I'd never buy a TBS knife because they won't admit they're probably China made, and I wouldn't want a Scandinavian grind on a folder anyway. I've got an Enzo PK70 just sat in a drawer. It's ok, really nicely made, good fit and function. The reasons it sees no use are:

It's a scandi. So limited greatly in the various uses an EDC should have.

It's not one hand opening. That's essential in EDC folders.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? Sorry about that, odd given the goto recommendation for a knife on this forum is usually a Mora... Mass produced, cheap, and a great knife...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Does Mora make a folder though?

You do like taking things off topic :rolleyes:....

Yeah I do go tangent often enough. This time I thought I was bringing it back on subject though (only folders are UK legal for EDC if I'm not mistaken)

Regardless - I mean there's usually no bias against mass manufactured knives.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree with you there.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only sub 3" bladed, non locking folders.

However, with good design, as in the Spyderco UKPK, Urban, PITS have a deep finger choil, making them much less prone to closing when using the tip. I have a life scar from a SAK. Both the UKPK and Urban also have a half stop on closing to prevent the blade snapping shut on your fingers.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
For me it has to be my G&G Hawk Beetle. Light weight, addictively fun to play with, and non-traditionally pretty:
25957-img-20161003-062805-jpg
Does look great, but does the thumb thing not make it one hand opening, which isn't legal?

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Does look great, but does the thumb thing not make it one hand opening, which isn't legal?

I don't live in Denmark. That's the only country I'm aware of that specifies one hand opening non lockers are not legal to carry without good reason (I don't know if there are exemptions for good reason there, just hoping for their sakes!).

There is nothing in UK law regarding how many hands it takes to open an S139 exempt blade.

Last edited:

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Germany don't allow one handed opening either. They can have pistols though!

Is that beetle locking? Never seen one before.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Germany don't allow one handed opening either. They can have pistols though!

Is that beetle locking? Never seen one before.

Not entirely correct - there's a restriction on one hand opening locking knives without having good reason, but not non lockers and I think lockers under a certain length, but the latter bit I'm not 100% on. Secondary locks are also interesting over there, and the designers of the Beetle made a model similar to the Beetle, but with a secondary lock and using a mechanism more suitable for mass production.

The Beetle is indeed non locking.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The more I use them the more I like my Buck folders

309 is always in my pocket and the 503 is seeing good service too - going to try a 303 and maybe get a 55 for when I need a lock

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
After a lot of research I've plumbed for the Viper Dan 2 in silver twill.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-viper-dan-2-5930stw-silver-twill-n690-sheepfoot.htm

I liked the look of a lot of the UK legal penknives named and shown but this ticked all my boxes.
I don't know huge amounts about knives so this is probably way overpriced for what it is, but I really like it.
I just hope it feels good in my monster mits.

I went for the purple mircata. They are no the easiest to open, I sliced into the pad of my thumb first time I tried one-handed. It is one seriously good knife though, and it is still shaving sharp a couple of months on despite not even being stropped. Devilishly sharp! I love it so much that I'm also going to get a dan1 at some point, but despite initial apprehension, the Wharncliffe blade is lovely.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
After a lot of research I've plumbed for the Viper Dan 2 in silver twill.

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-viper-dan-2-5930stw-silver-twill-n690-sheepfoot.htm

I liked the look of a lot of the UK legal penknives named and shown but this ticked all my boxes.
I don't know huge amounts about knives so this is probably way overpriced for what it is, but I really like it.
I just hope it feels good in my monster mits.

I think you'll like it. You've got a great steel in a very stylish package.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE