Using a folding knfe with a ferro rod..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Here is a recent video covering the above subject (it works well with fixed blades too).

Enjoy.
Atb
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tidy method. If I've got a Spyderco with me, the hole is quite an accurate way to scrape a steel.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I thought this was just common sense, and would never have considered doing it any other way with such a knife.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
+1 Hammock_man
Suspect plenty of others hadn't thought of it either, especially those developing their skills - for Opinels or other types of folding knife.

Thought the use of the stick with the fixed blade/ferro rod was good too.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was trying to think of how to get a group of youngsters to hold the scraper still, and move the rod, and this could help. Nice.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes Chris - it works well with kids (I have taught hundreds of youngsters this method). The big advantage is that they don't disturb the tinder with the striker, instead it allows them to accurately shower it with good sparks.
It also is very good in bad weather if you are using grass or bracken, as the stick holds it all in place and stops it blowing away.
If you are used to using the blade folded and it suits you, fine carry on, I like to try different methods and thought I would share it as so many people see it and comment on how effective it is.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Good tip thanks, will try that method too.

Like carrying an opinel, saves looking like Rambo running about in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE