Tick removed....now what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
There are members of this very forum who could tell you very graphically of the folly of ignoring the slightest hint that you may have been exposed to Lyme's...........And the thing with 'wait for the rash'? Meaningless.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tick collections here have demonstrated that the original vector, Dermacentor andersonii,
was being transported far and wide on livestock, principally cattle and horses.
Infections tended to be associated with agricultural venues, initially.
I did the tick collection and ID across the central interior of BC.

I strongly suggest that a missing but essential piece of your kit, right now, is a small mirror,
perhaps 10cm x 12cm, that you must use to give yourself a thorough "personal" examination.
Next, buy or make up a little kit for tick removal. Bad, bad form not to have such things.

bearbait

I got a couple of tick remover kits (O'Tom Tick Removers I think) from my local Vets': one for me, one for the dogs.

Mid-Wales seems (seemed) to be OK but my Border Collie picked up loads of ticks every time we went to Snowdonia. The Terrier never, but he had a very dense coat.

I picked up a tick in December in southern Spain, so take care/inspect yourselves on your winter breaks too...

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Cheers for all your input so far folks, its much appreciated!
I have the otom tick removers which I've always found to be great on the dog. I've had a few ticks on me but never bitten as I try to check clothing and myself as often as possible.
was curious to see what you folks thought was "standard practice" as I felt the doctors could have handled things better, but then that's probably just because I worry about my weapon of a GF! :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ticks have to drop off their hosts after a blood meal to complete each different stage in their life cycle.
Next, they are attracted to the scent of urine so their numbers are greatest near game trails.
They climb up the veg, spread the first pair or two of legs and wait.
Brush those legs and they slam shut like a mouse trap.

Get a 1m^2 white flannel cloth on a stick and hold it in front of you on a game trail in spring/early summer.
You'll see what I mean. Every tick wants a warm ride through the next winter.

Big game here, the ticks are high on the legs. My Chesapeakes always got hit in the face.
In a ground blind, I picked up a few when turkey hunting in spring.
Get a mirror.

Kev627

Sep 22, 2013
Amesbury
As the Doc dropped it on his floor I am sure the tick will attack him in a few days, biting his dangly bits...... :)

About 25 years ago when I was 14 I found a tick on the underside of my scrotum! The joys of dogs + Salisbury Plain.

Needless to say I was a bit embarrassed as it was pulled out by my Dad :eek:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ticks have to drop off their hosts after a blood meal to complete each different stage in their life cycle.
Next, they are attracted to the scent of urine so their numbers are greatest near game trails......

Generally the ones I'm accustomed too only get one blood meal. When they finish, their bodies are so swollen their legs barely reach far enough to use anymore.

Typical tick before a meal

black-legged-tick_si.jpg

After a meal

chd_tick_engorged.jpg

Rare, but this happens more often than I'd like

96143a3e0f71f9101874fddbb7e7bb15.jpg

tick_pit_bull_before_use.jpg

th

They hide in God awful places

tick-removal.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need to see a moose when they get loaded. Like they suck off even the fur.

The first little life stages of ticks hardly make a fuss as they feed, fall off and climb on again.
The big ones like you show are the size of freakin' grapes on a moose.
I taught the Chessies to come when called and to lie down with their heads in my lap, on the floor.
To expect to be examined _all_ over and ticks removed as found.

Not only of your pets, cats included, but yourselves and your kids. Get a mirror.
Do the duty for anyone else. Better safe than sorry.

Look:
The nose beaks are barbed so you have to get all of that.
Never squeeze a tick for any reason. They can puke up a buffet of arboviruses,
some of which may be new to science.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Look: The nose beaks are barbed so you have to get all of that.
Never squeeze a tick for any reason. They can puke up a buffet of arboviruses,
some of which may be new to science.

When I was a kid sometimes instead of pulling a tick off, they'd stick a hot match to it so it would back out. Now we know that can also make them puke up toxins.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The power of suggestion: 6 faculty on an extended field collecting trip in serious TICK country (west of William's Lake, BC).
May, after supper, we're all in one motel room having a slurp and watching Stanley Cup playoff ice hockey.
I went into the bathroom and did a very serious search of all parts of me, with a mirror.

Got dressed, came out, cracked a beer and sat down. Said: "Well, there are no ticks on me."
One by one, over the next half hour, _everybody_ made a long visit to the bathroom !!!!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you see your GP after each tick bite he will diagnose you as having Entomophobia and send you for shock therapy. Maybe a lobotomy if your phobia does not disappear.

:lmao:

( do not worry, at most he will prescribe Zanax. That is some good s*it, trust me!!))

I agree it's overkill, but I can't/won't laugh because some of the members on this forum, possibly on this thread, have Lyme's and because some of them also probably get ticks infrequently enough to make such checks more practical than us.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
had my first and probably not the last tick a few weeks back.noticed it on the sunday evening.i just brushed it off not realising what it was then followed a frantic search to see if it came away intact and thankfully it did.no symptons and bullseye.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I've never managed to get a tick on me yet, which is quite surprising considering I regularly scrabble about in a steep sided forest with high foliage, and a good amount of deer.

I always wear boots and long durable trousers when I'm in there, so I would only expect them on my arms if they appeared.
Now what I'm wondering if how is it I read of so many of them attaching themselves to scrotums. Are they climbing up your legs whilst wearing baggy shorts, or can they route their way through tucked in clothing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE