Foraging pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
During a good long walk on Saturday, I realised that it would have been handy to have a storage pouch on me.

I ended up collecting flint, cramp balls, bracket fungus, nettles for tea, Old Man’s Beard and twigs for a stove fire. I'd have collected more if it was more convenient (and typically, I ended up not having enough tinder).

I'm sure I've seen someone with a foldaway pouch, perhaps on a youtube video, attached to their belt. Does anyone know what these are or where to get them from or have any recommendations?

Cheers,
Gary

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Could have been Mike from MCQ bushcraft.
I knocked up something similar from old leather from a discarded leather sofa.
Often people put them outside while waiting for them to be collected by the council. If in doubt, just ask. You can always find uses for scrap leather.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks for all the replies. It was MCQ showing the Maxpedition pouch I remember seeing, £30 for a pouch is a lot, I can't comment whether it's worth it but it's too costly for the use I'll get from it.

I've had a look at dump pouches and it seems theres a bit of choice out there. Based on the cost and that there aren't any that seem perfect, I think I'm going to have a go at creating my own.

Looking at the cost on Amazon it'll be:
£0.86 Spring toggles
£7.99 Punch plier with grommets
£1.74 Adhesive velcro

I'll use old clothes for the material and light cordage to close it. It won't look as nice as Hibrion's leather/canvas pouches (they look very nicec btw!) but I think it'll weigh less than everything else I've seen. The downside being the lightweight material I'll use will likely rip but I'll attempt to design it to be replaceable.

So basically, I've acquired a new project!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Cut the leg from an old pair of trews, stitch one end shut and run a cord through the other end for closure; you can then just loop it through your belt from below and let it hang over the top to carry. I'm never without one :)

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
I got all keen and put together a basic pouch last night. I re-purposed a 4 litre dry bag that had a clip missing. Once I attached two belt hoops (made from denim and plastic "bracers") and a small loop of paracord to tie it up when not in use, it is tiny when collapsed and weighs in at 38g.

I'll probably make something else a bit nicer, but I'll give this a go and see if it works and what changes can be made to suit how I use it.

That looks smart. Where did you get it?

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Decathalon do one, its goes on the belt and expands into a drop pouch if you unclip it. Quite a reasonable price and they also do maxpedition fatty style pouches. Have tried but unable to find a link on the website.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Pixelseventy2 that looks a nice piece of work, I find that it always feels good when you are using something that you have made yourself.

I might upgrade my own dump pouches in a similar fashion as I have the relevant scraps of material around.

Considering the materials that you have used and especially the leather (and the state that my kit sometimes gets in!) I would still use those green (breathable?) storage bags in my previously linked post inside the dump to keep the inside clean and avoid the need to wash it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE