The stag Seax!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Decided this needed another hot wax bath, and glad I did. It's now taking on the colour that I originally wanted :)

HalfGoat Leatherwork Stag Seax Rewaxed by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Having taken the seax out on several trips now I've discovered it's not as good a camp knife as i'd hoped. I'm used to doing everything with my kukri which functions a lot like an axe with a hefty punch. This is half as thin so doesn't have the weight, and due to the shape of the tang the handle has ended up pretty round so it tends to twist and turn in the grip when chopping. It's good for battoning and light snedding and feathersticks. But it will do just fine for the odd viking event or market when i need a large knife for processing firewood etc. And it was just fun to make :)

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Beautiful knife and what a great sheath I have been thinking of trying a pattern like that for a long time but never found the right inspiration until now.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Very nice indeed :)

I have a Seax blade a made a few years ago in O1 tool steel with an etched blade. I put my name on it in runes and a Celtic sheep/dragon, still not got round to handling it :eek:

I got a few funny looks from our local reenactment group when I said I wanted something I could cut leather with.

Rich

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
That's a good looking knife. Lovely work there, as usual.

How secure is that wee leather twist to hold the knife to the belt? Might try that myself. I like the thought of no hardware on the strap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE