"Frontier" On Netflix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Supposedly about the "bloody battle for control of the wealth created by the Hudsons Bay Companys monopoly of the fur trade" set in the late 1700's.

Ray Mears never said nowt about a bloody battle for control etc, it was all jolly voyageurs, singing, paddling along,eating crxppy scones, being bitten to sxxt by flies and making paddles out of logs etc, all very romantic:confused:

No idea if its already been aired, how old it is or whether it's already been mentioned on here but it looks canny enough and whether it's full of factual inaccuracies or an honest representation, at least it's based around a fairly popular subject on here;)

I'm away back to see how Lord Benton ( Alan Armstrong-fellow Geordie) gets on hunting down Declan Harp (Nasty bugger, slicing fella's throats and cuttin off bits and bobs as well and again, never mentioned by Ray-Von):rolleyes:

Happy Days

Steve

Last edited:

rancid badger

Why, thank you kindly!:D

I do try sometimes (Actually my Wife says I'm "trying most of the time" so there you go:))

So has anyone watched this?

I think its a bit long winded myself and they suspend belief a little too often ( lighting candles with ferro rods? I mean seriously?, plastic canoes done up to look like birch bark but not very well done-there were a few wood/canvas I think ) but Pfwoooaarr! that Lord Benton turns out to be a particularly nasty piece of work! and of course Declan is as hard as nails (if obviously also a bit of a loony) it's definitely better than that Beowulf catastrophe they made up here at Stanhope (my brother was an extra in that you know:eek:) which was absolutely shocking.

Too much bad language, especially from the "Scottish" characters.

Steve

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
In his book Northern Wilderness, he explains how the hudson bay company helped to keep Canada, from becoming part of America, merely through the strength of the HBC.
His ideas, are definitely from a englishmans perspective, whereas the first nations people were completely screwed, Europeans stole all their land.

He has surprising points of view, compared to what he appears to believe on TV.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
im just watching this series, started last night. its set in a time that i wish i was alive in (think vast wilderness, the opportunity for travel, living off your skills, rather than swashbuckling violence!!) and its entertaining enough to keep me watching. I wander if there'll be hints of bushcrafty things? oh and by the way, you can light a candle with a ferro rod, but its damn tricky! lol

rancid badger

im just watching this series, started last night. its set in a time that i wish i was alive in (think vast wilderness, the opportunity for travel, living off your skills, rather than swashbuckling violence!!) and its entertaining enough to keep me watching. I wander if there'll be hints of bushcrafty things? oh and by the way, you can light a candle with a ferro rod, but its damn tricky! lol

Don't build your hopes up, it just gets less and less realistic to be honest but entertaining nonetheless.;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Make a list of the bushcraft things that you see them do and use that as a list of experiments.
Let's set aside the "cultural genocide" of the native peoples (as described by the Canadian Government).

If that film(?) makes a fiction out of native civilization, I'll never watch it or bring attention to it.

Candle? Ferro rod? Kill the animals, render the fat. Use a clam shell and cottongrass, if nothing else.
Got soapstone? Carve qulliq ( = kudliq) with 4 " wick for lots of heat and light. Friction fire.

Have a reference text with a photograph of the biggest Inuit kudliq that I have ever seen:
soapstone, half-moon shaped and 30" in length.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
"Ray Mears never said nowt about a bloody battle for control etc, it was all jolly voyageurs, singing, paddling along,eating crxppy scones, being bitten to sxxt by flies and making paddles out of logs etc, all very romantic"

Haha laughed at that. His documentary of the portage by any chance?

I'll give this a look. If its anything as entertaining as Deadwood I'll be hooked.

Stevie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE