Bearing block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I'm looking for some ideas where to source a couple of sets bearings, to make bearing blocks for bow drill sets, I have some nice wood sitting around to use up. Thanks in advance!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a couple of sets of skateboard bearings you can have for the postage, I got them for exactly this purpose and there are two spare; drop me a pm if you'd like them.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I would like to give Macaroon a big thank you for the bearings, it's always nice to see the good and generous side of this community an true gent.

D

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Damascus, long time no speak, ;)
I've used stones with a "dent" with fantastic sucsess, for the last 10 or so years!
I tried using metal with drilled dents as a sort of "cheat" but they never seemed comfortable to use.
I have heard of people using crocery, and even a lump of tarmac to serve the same purpose.
as for actual bearings how are you going to hold them, are you setting them into some sort of handle?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Rapps,

yes make a comfortable palm fitting, drill a hole and fit the bearings, (bearing race), you get a smooth friction free bearing block.

dave

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Next time your on a pebble beach. Try many pebbles/stones out for size. Flint in particular makes a great block. You can even find them with dents and even holes in to secure leather thong for hanging safely. Some very interesting shapes that fit well in the hand. If you can't find a bag full of decent bearings on the beach, try another beach.
Another one is beef bone knuckle joints. I've seen some decorated with carvings and pyrography very beautiful.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am an engineer and generally like finding the most efficient solution, but something just seems wrong with using cheap deep groove ball bearings to support the end of a fire by friction spindle....they really are not appropriate for fire by friction bearing blocks, with that sort of axial loading you should be looking at thrust bearings, maybe tapered roller bearings.

:rolleyes:

There is no doubt that the use of a lathe would greatly improve the spindle. I wonder if one could make a router jig to pre-cut the hearth boards? Yes, I think that Squidders is on to something, although one would have to remember to refer to it as "Portable drill fire by friction" rather than "Bow drill...."

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Next time your on a pebble beach. Try many pebbles/stones out for size. Flint in particular makes a great block. You can even find them with dents and even holes in to secure leather thong for hanging safely. Some very interesting shapes that fit well in the hand. If you can't find a bag full of decent bearings on the beach, try another beach.
Another one is beef bone knuckle joints. I've seen some decorated with carvings and pyrography very beautiful.
Agreed. I found my bearing block on a pebble beach. By sheer fluke I picked it up and it goes in my pocket with a hank of paracord if I'm feeling nostalgic for a bow brill set fire!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
Hi Rapps,

yes make a comfortable palm fitting, drill a hole and fit the bearings, (bearing race), you get a smooth friction free bearing block.

dave

Use a Forstner bit the right size to inset the bearings into a wood handle. Can be held in with epoxy around the edges. We find old in-line skates for cheap at thrift (charity) shops or garage and yard sales. Then you get 8 bearings at once and can pass some on.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I used to carry a pendant made with a cast off deer horn, with a dimple in the back side and a cross hole to allow a leather thong as a neck string as well as a bow string.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE