Female fit quiet waterproof with turning space

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Can anyone please recommend? For around camp, wandering (to distinguish from any high impact summiting kind of activity), and photographing in Scottish winter/year round rain. Doesn't need to be insulated as will layer underneath (tend to easily be cold), so I need a relaxed fit. Having trawled previous posts there are many positive reports on ventile, but the majority of jackets and smocks made from this fabric are for men and usually this means they are slightly snug on the hips, which is not ideal for squatting, need extensive/dubious post-purchase-proofing, or are an obtrusive colour. I see a few folk use waxed jackets, but that was my school coat for years and I remember being cold and smelly...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My wax jackets aren't smelly (apart from woodsmoke on one !) but I lined it with wool and got rid of the horrible cotton / fleece combination in the other too.

Ex army goretex is good, buy big and shorten the arms to suit :D

M

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up KisteenA,

As Toddy says - and if you don't fancy cam - have a look for one of the Austrian plain olive Goretex shell Jackets - (KA03 issue).

The Austrians have females in their forces so you might even strike lucky and find a surplus one.

I think I have seen a member of the fairer sex wearing one in some shots posted on this site by the North Wood meeters. :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My wife has a Fjallraven jacket made from G1000 fabric. I think it is called Gronland ( Greenland)
The fit depends on the size of your middle region. Us Scandinavians are kind of slimmer on average than you Brits.

Last edited:

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Thanks for ideas. I have a country store not too far and will try the waxed jackets, though I'm not sure I will be able to shake the association with homework, scent is so evocative! Maybe wearing it by the fire is the solution, after a week camping my down jacket is irredeemably smokey. I think I will try to avoid gore-tex because of the noise.

I love the fjallraven aesthetic especially the smocks which also come in womens versions and are neither pink or purple, but not so much the price or need to wax post-purchase. It did remind me of previous £££ garments that have held up well though, so perhaps I need to loosen the purse-strings further. Can anyone comment on Sasta? I had discounted the brand because my old jacket leaked in torrential rain, but now I think that may have begun after it passed the ten years of age mark...

I'd not come across country innovation, looks good though again the smock style is unisex, pah.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ridgeline might be worth considering. I've just bought a Pintail Explorer smock. Light, quiet, waterproof, and fairly roomy.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The fit depends on the size of your middle region. Us Scandinavians are kind of slimmer on average than you Brits.

You're a brave man janne :D

O.p, might be worth a pm to quixotic geek on here. I seem to remember her testing a few shell jackets recently

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Does Blimo or Two dogs on here make ventile garments to order?? Might be worth checking

Last edited:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I had discounted the brand because my old jacket leaked in torrential rain, but now I think that may have begun after it passed the ten years of age mark...

Ventile leaks in torrential rain. So does Paramo or G1000. There are other reasons to choose them but being the most waterproof isn't one of them. The surplus Goretex and some others out there are soft faced and not noisy.

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
my good lady has a fjallraven jacket she picked up on evilly for £20, fits her beautifully and she is (in her own words, so i don't get shot) 'shaped like a weeble. In heavy or prolonged rain she also has a rohan elite jacket that packs away very small and is great over the FR jacket. This mix seems to be pretty hard wearing. we're out foraging most weekends, and always warm and dry.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I like the British Army windproof smocks - they are an excellent jacket with great pockets. Although they are not waterproof they are showerproof when treated with something like Diver Dave's "Repel" treatment and the truth is that this is sufficient for most people most of the time. With not being waterproof it means you stay much drier and more comfortable than you would if wearing a completely waterproof fabric and, again, for most of the time this means you are much better off. In really rotten weather or when you expect long periods of heavy rain then you can throw on a lightweight shell UNDER the windproof smock so you retain all your pockets. The smock dries very quickly so not long after the rain stops and because it is on the outside it will be dry and you can remove the waterproof shell and run with just the smock once more. Mostly I use army surplus goretex shells as the waterproof layer but of late I've been experimenting with a really basic and really lightweight shell that Regatta do called a Pack-It Jacket. The jury is still out on that one as I haven't worn it enough to make any decision on how well it works but it is very small indeed, is claimed to be waterproof and breathable, and cost me about £12.

I know this two coat solution might sound like a pain but I am out a lot of days in the year, over 100, in the most remote parts of Ireland and Scotland and this simply works better than any other solution I've tried, and I have a wardrobe full of the big money jackets but except when I attend something where I need to be seen to be "respectable" it is the military surplus stuff that goes out every day now, and this has been the case for maybe 4+ years now so well in excess of 400 days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE