Log splitting on camp - cheap but decent axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Basically when car camping we like to have a wood fire in b an old BBQ. Basically bushcraft tv plus marshmallow toaster, mmmm! We use sacks of chopped wood but obviously this needs splitting initially. Hence the axe. We don't do this enough to warrant getting a good axe, a cheap one is needed. Is there a reasonably priced axe available widely you'd recommend?

I bought my dad a Sandvik small axe once years ago when I spotted it at a bargain price I could afford (poor student at the time so it was a really good deal). He has it nearly 20 years later. If there's something as good but cheaper that would be great.

Any recommendations?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Keep an eye out in Lidl and Aldi. They regukarly get splitting axes in that'll fo the job fine and are very cheap.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Anything by Fiskars,

The X10 is a good length and weight, and is more wedge shaped than a traditional cutting axe.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Check out the Stihl axes. I have the forestry one, it's a nice size, not too big for small stuff and not too small for big stuff :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Another recommendation for the Aldi or Lidl splitting maul.

Only criticism of them is the short handle for serious long term splitting isn't great but car camping it's a good compromise

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Another recommendation for the Aldi or Lidl splitting maul.

Only criticism of them is the short handle for serious long term splitting isn't great but car camping it's a good compromise

+1 to that, mine work daily to keep my house wood burning stove full. I take them into the woods as well. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE