Blade thickness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What blade thickness for your primary user?

• 2mm

Votes: 34 14.2%
  • 3mm

Votes: 110 45.8%
  • 4mm

Votes: 80 33.3%
  • 5mm

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 6mm

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Problem with thicker blades is that no matter how you grind them, at some point up the blade its gonna get thick.

All other things being equal... 3mm will make a better cutter than 4mm, 2mm better than 3mm and so forth

The 8mm knife would only be a better cutter than 9mm and upwards. It will be poor for deeper cuts. About 10mm up that blade the steel will be about 4mm thick... meaning at that point it makes a poorer cutter than 4mm... even if that 4mm knife was 100mm wide with a 30 degree scandi.

Nice work on those though Mark. They look good mate.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Problem with thicker blades is that no matter how you grind them, at some point up the blade its gonna get thick.

All other things being equal... 3mm will make a better cutter than 4mm, 2mm better than 3mm and so forth

The 8mm knife would only be a better cutter than 9mm and upwards. It will be poor for deeper cuts. About 10mm up that blade the steel will be about 4mm thick... meaning at that point it makes a poorer cutter than 4mm... even if that 4mm knife was 100mm wide with a 30 degree scandi.

Nice work on those though Mark. They look good mate.

Try cutting soft white bread with a Fällkniven. Interesting experience!
Your observation is correct. The thinner blade the better cutter.
Hence kitchen knives are thin.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hes done the best he can with it... the grind will make it a decent cutter to a certain point. Duncan called that the Flandi. though he did his from 6mm stock, i've had a look at the one Duncan did that john has, and its a nice knife.. lighter than you'd think.

8mm may be a bit thick at the spine, but with that grind it will still cut well enough. Not my cup of tea, but i am a fan of a higher grind with what amounts to a scandi... My crocs are done in such a way, from 4mm stock though, and i dont take he primary grind to the spine.

Have you tapered the tang a bit there too Mark? Looks like it from the pic. :)
1dd1f68a7307713dae82c8a4d88120d5.jpg
9ec3ff3112f375bd42e25f8cbd829324.jpg

Think this may be the one Mark.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There's no one tool solution which is why I now use a sturdy Fallkniven F1 Pro and an Opinel 8. Seems like some people look at using two knives for one job as 'cheating'.

Agreed. I'll take a fixed at around 3.5 - 5 inch blade, 3 - 4mm thick for actual work, and usually a Paramilitary 2 or similar folder for slicing food and general stuff.

I'll have to vote 3mm as my ideal 3.5mm isn't an option.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i have found, 3mm to be the best for an all arounder, 3.5-4mm i think is best for a full tang as it eliminates the flex from a 4" blade that you will encounter when using the knife heavily. flex in a full tang is likely to weaken the scales, so id rather have a ridged blade. if its a hidden tang, id go for 2-3 for a general purpose knife, mainly for slicing purposes.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Surely 8mm would be limited to the heavier duties of campcraft...
would it not be over the top for finer tasks such as filleting, slicing and whittling?
I do however really like the look of that 8mm knife posted a few posts (#52) back on this thread.
d89ed00a2689bb308fd1ce727402eea7.jpg

Gorgeous knife that...

For me it's a 4mm thick, 100mm long , full tang knife for most tasks in camp.

a9cc8202f634e69be4b8e24fce19e904.jpg

(The Buzzard - by Mick91 on this parish)

I do however have a small whittler for the smaller works.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2016
Foresthill Ca.
My blade thickness is 3 mm. Total length is 148 mm. Blade length is 60 mm. Small and effective not very useful for batoning. It's forge from 1095 carbon steel. It has Osage scales and a lanyard hole. The sheath is made from deer skin and edge beaded. Fits in my pocket very well and can be used as a neck knife. ( I have a picture on my iPhone but I don't know how to post it on the site. )

Spearhead

Dec 16, 2014
Italia
I like thick fixed blades with reasonable bevels. between 4 and 5 mm is best for me. the reason is just I like them that way. but for folders a thinner stock is better, around 2.5 / 3.5 mm.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
My main two knifes are 4mm, cant really get the same strength angle blade with anything smaller; i also have a 2mm Higo, and although its a powerful blade, i wouldnt want to do the same kind of cuts into wood that i do with the 4mm (likley to damage the blade with such a shallow angle edge)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I just don't care as long as it's sharp! Main user at the moment is a bog-standard Clipper I've had for about 10 years, so what's that? 2.5mm? Anyway, it's working just fine.

Dave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thick knives are good for fitness. You get a good work-out carrying them around, then more good healthy exercise when you use them. :cool:

Knife use starts at 2:10...

[video=youtube;B1c2ieHwAoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1c2ieHwAoM[/video]

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
2mm. I have a diy friction folder and a Mora, both get abused for carving and gutting etc. I also have a Mora hi vis companion that I use a lot less, but I think that's down to handle geometry. Anything other than fine work is done with the axe.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
allround bushcraft I voted3 mill! Great weight, strength and performance!! Also ok to sharpen this flat bevel.

I use (after years even of custom Woodlores (4mm) (too heavy for allround in my liking), Fallkies S1 F1 (4, 5mm), Barkie Bravo 1 (5,5mm (crap!!)) mainly the Mora Buschraft Black (I love 27 degree scandi and 3,2 mm blade)
if I am about with sausages and uncut bread I have a Opinel 12 (great knife)

when hiking light I have a Fallkniven F1 (4,3 tapered to less) and the main user the Mora Bushcraft Black (3,2)
In my basecamp I have axes and of course the Mora Buschraft black (3,2mm) and a old meat knife from Zwillingen, great slicer for outdoor cooking (2mm tapered) but also

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I prefer 2-2,5mm for all-round purpose, but thinner blades for skinning and butchering.

"Bring a compass. It's awkward when you have to eat a friend."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE