What would you plant in a public open space...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rustee

Forager
Oct 9, 2014
Edge of The Wilds
Oh, come on I was only joking.

Hiya AdelnTokyo, Folks round here hold in high regard the natural well-being of the woodlands and forests as well as the conservation and sustainability of any changes and or improvements made to the natural surroundings.

Right then. :)

[Not a thing to be joked about really.]

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Hiya AdelnTokyo, Folks round here hold in high regard the natural well-being of the woodlands and forests as well as the conservation and sustainability of any changes and or improvements made to the natural surroundings.

Right then. :)

[Not a thing to be joked about really.]

Blimey I never knew a hypothetical question could be so serious, but ok I will play.

Where are similar complains regarding the suggestion of illegal plants? Also plant with thorns are just as likely to harm a child as any poisonous paint. How many people die from hemlock? How many get scratched by brambles, or other thorny plants? Not to mention nut bearing trees for people allergic to them...

Hmm... No I don't see any complaints like that.
Get off ya high horse and stop looking for a reason to get offended and tell someone off. You can say my joke was bad, or 'shabby'. Fine. But don't lecture me please.

"folks round here, hold..." Themselves in high regard. Noting else.

Don't worry I'll let myself out. :)

To appease all you terribly offend folks, how about yew? There is a very old yew, somewhere in Scotland I believe(one of the oldest living trees on earth). A cutting from that would have emence significance and yew, as a wood, has a special place in British (maybe more English) history.

For a serious answer.
Else I've always liked willow... No reason, just pretty. Doesn't help you for your interview.

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Native species- to improve biodiversity, help the local wildlife and hopefully foster community interest and involvement in the area. There are also grants available that could be used to help fund such projects. Good luck with the interview."
Totally agree.
There are also charities involved in this, as well as "champions" eg Hugh Fern-Whit!
LOTS on info on the 'net.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would use trees that change with the seasons, type Maple, Chestnut and so on. If there is a childrens playing area I would put some fruit trees close to that. Apple, pear, plum and cherry.

10 year old cheese must be powerful indeed!
Norwegian Gammelost ("old cheese") is another weird cheese. Weird consistency ( fluffy), weird taste, almost Ammonia like? Supposed to have been invented by the Norse, and is maybe the explanation why so many emigrated?

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would go with fruit trees if it was a large scale type installation, and if it was smaller, a community herb garden. Especially older varieties that aren't grown very frequently, or have a local connection. And of course the variety Newton sat under...

Where I lived in Utrecht had a small community herb garden near by and it was really nice to be able to pick a couple of sprigs of herbs to include with dinner.

J

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I would like to advocate some planting schemes that had more purpose than to just look nice and fill a space.

for an urban public space i would plant vegetables and try to get kids involved so that they find out where food comes from, you don't get more purposeful than feeding yourself.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Herb garden.

The people who appreciate it know what they are and those who don't know what they are will just pass them by with hardly a glance.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
My vote would go to vegetables.

AdeInTokyo - Stick to your guns (English is my 2nd language, but I smiled at your first post)

Greger,
Father-of-two

Feb 29, 2016
Finland
I personally have tended the wild raspberry bushes in my area, clearing the last year's dead parts and other plants that compete in their place. The local variety is very hardy, but doesn't put out good, big berries unless you get them some growth space and maybe fertilize them a bit. The last part's easy to do - urinate on the roots. Me being a funny person, I do this to my favourite bushes in the spring. It helps that I take the dogs out when it's dark :)

I've thought about planting wild raspberry to good, sunny (public) places that don't get too dry, but I've been busy enough my own garden so far. The wild variety tastes so much stronger that even if the berries are very small, I've given serious thought about planting them to my own yard.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I can understand the reasons why we don't see them, not that I agree with it, but why can't we see more fruit bearing trees in public spaces??

I imagine that these days so few children actually grow up around home grown produce, or even just with any contact with produce other than from the shop, that I think like with city farms etc, it would be great for kids in urban environments to have a chance to gain an understanding, or appreciation, however small, for where their apples or cherries come from. Through education they can also be taught to be responsible, e.g don't eat it all, or don't take more than you need, because there is no more once it's gone. I think a big problem with diets these days is that we have become so disconnected from all aspects of our food chain that we just buy, eat, or bin as much as we like, because we have no such a limited appreciation for the process and do not think of the consequences.

As above though, alas I know how society works, and some guy would just rock up and pick the tree bare, and would not be surprised if it all just went onto a market stall etc.

If you plant something to benefit people, there will be some that will not value it or that will take advantage of it. If you plant something to benefit the creatures at the lower end of the food chain (creepy crawlies) the knock on effect will benefit everything and everyone.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I would normally go for a Hardy insect friendly wildflower mix as unless there is a strong community spirit already vegis won't be cared for

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Then again given the rate the local scrotes seem to rip up and break anything the council plants giant hogweed would probably be best, at least they wouldn't damage it twice

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Elm for me.
The great British elm experiment is in full swing and they need more participants.

http://www.conservationfoundation.co.uk/elm

Register yours and take part in the greatest tree experiment in Britain.

But I agree with most posts on here with a couple of exceptions...

Fruit trees and shrubs are obvious choices.
Native species also.

Species that flower and encourage bees and other small insects will no doubt boost ecosystems , regardless of your location and will benefit all .

Great thread, thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I would plant hawthorn and blackthorn in every space possible. I was considering marijuana but it may be better if that is grown and supplied by the state. :)

:lmao:

Respect. Needed a good laugh today, and if the OP follows the advice, it should seal the deal :lmao:

Plantings need thought, let the imagination go. Parks and playgrounds benefit from lots of colour, it's a place visited for relaxation and 'topping up'. Plant colours and smells, herbs etc.

Parkland/woodland, stick with woodland species as it's more part of the ecosystem. Having said that, many of the large parks have mature Cedar etc as the Victorian legacy. These spaces were a show fest in their time, and I still think they look superb today. But find me a newly planted Cedar of Lebanon, they're all the same age.

As it's an interview, throw some ideas. Like, not the Castor Oil plants on every roundabout in Bognor a few years ago from which the poison ricin is easily derived. Doh!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE