Alternative to a machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have been on a walk today and the paths around here are a little overgrown. What can I carry to knock back the stingers and stuff without looking like a mad man walking round with a machete?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
How about dressing up in typical 18th century farmers get up, carry a large scythe and if anyone questions you... just shout "What year is this? What YEAR!?!?" :D

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'd take my grass hook. Thing is you do have a legitimate reason to have it. You have a right to remove obstructions from a right of way so long as you don't cause unnecessary damage.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Cold Steel Rajah II. A hardnut folding kukri, I just sold my one. It did me well, chopped through many a bracken, bramble, blackthorn barrier. I'd really recommend it, but they're very hard to find now. Put a wanted out both here and BB, might be one sitting in a drawer somewhere.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Cold Steel Rajah II. A hardnut folding kukri, I just sold my one. It did me well, chopped through many a bracken, bramble, blackthorn barrier. I'd really recommend it, but they're very hard to find now. Put a wanted out both here and BB, might be one sitting in a drawer somewhere.

That would be good, or a folding machete, just so I am not wandering around with a big knife in my hands and something that would fit in my pack.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Frankly speaking, if I should see somebody clearing a footpath with a machete, my first thought would not be one of fear. My first thought would be " what a nice person that is, clearing the path for my convenience"!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
+1 for a traditional scythe , failing that a sharp sickle is just as good...
Not easy to pack into rucksack tho... .😃

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If its just for getting through a few nettles any old wooden broom handle will do, should cost about £2 in a diy shop.

Tonyuk

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
Surely if this is public land and you run the risk of being seen by less knife experienced members of the public you are going to find it difficult to justify wandering around with any +3inch blade no? If the police were wandering around of course?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE