Scottish (West/North Western) coastal campsites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm looking for a decent, quiet campsite up in west/north western Scotland somewhere.

It has to be right on the coast or on a sea loch and have easy access to the water.

I don't want to be slumming it but don't want holiday camp "facilities" either. So no "entertainment" but clean toilets, showers and a shop would be good-oh and minimum likelihood of kids (of any age) knocking around,screaming and shouting and kicking balls off my car/tent would also be a plus. (Yes, my older brother is correct- I am a bit of a Victor Meldrew ;))

I'm planning on arriving no later than 28th July and ideally staying at least a week, (although the option to move on elsewhere might well be beneficial) paddling,fishing (sea only) and possibly a bit of wandering about.

Any ideas?

Steve

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
There's not loads of campsites up the west so it's more a case of pick your area and see if there is a campsite near. You'll have to take what's there rather than choose from a few and I can't think of any with entertainment between Campbeltown to skye, most have showers though.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Gairloch (not the one by the naval base), Bettyshill, Ullapool, theres one between Ullapool and Lochinver but can't remember its name. There are camp sites there whether they fulfil your needs you'll have to decide. Wild camping? Lots of spots.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Badrallach nr Dundonnell might be worth a look and you can have campfires there too. There's no shop but Ullapool isn't too far.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I know loads of great spots up the west coast on sea lochs but they have absolutely no amenities, a few the nearest shop is a good hours drive after a half hour walk to the car, not sure about the nearest shower on any of them

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
if you're looking at Skye, Dunvegan campsite is a lovely site, we go there a couple of time a year. Right on the loch, good toilets, showers etc, 5 minute walk to Dunvegan village, shops etc. its much easier to get around Skye from there compared with Glen Brittle and better facilities.

On the mainland, Apple Cross, just north of Kyle of Lochalsh. We did stay at Clactol Beach, north of Lochinver, but it was out of season, so might be pretty busy this time of year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE