Ash plate.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nah, flat or with a small lip, some where square , which is the sort that's been churned out for the ye olde feast market but looking at them in paintings etc round ones were much more common. They seamed to die out in the 17th C , early 18th.

Some good pics here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trencher_(tableware)

ATB

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. Just seemed a nice touch for my Boone kit.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I believe they were originally made from a round flat loaf or 'slice' of bread.....the food was piled on top and then the juices/gravies etc. soaked into the bread and could be eaten at the end of the meal.

D.B.

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Very nice job is that, must have a go at one sometime. Love the dark heartwood through the centre and being Ash, that'll be one tough plate! You could paddle a canoe with it.....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The plate has one more real advantage that I don't think that anyone has mentioned = insulation for hot food.
Visually, that plate is bound to make any food more appealing and it won't be stone cold before you finish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE